CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

105 lense 20 dc or 28 Micro

G

Hi, I just bought an F5 used, and am interested in good portrait lense. Which lense should I get, the 2.0 DC or the 2.8 Micro? Thanks

G

I would opt for the DC over the micro if you're into portraiture. If AF isn't important, you may also want to look into a 105mm f/2.5 AIS. My favorite portrait lens is a late version of the pre-AI (though mine has been AI'd) 85mm f/1.8.

>

G

I agree with Bob. I have the AIS 2.0 version of the 85. Great sharp lens, uses 52mm filters. I like the 105 f2.5 as well, but the 85 is much "crisper" IMHO.

G

Clark,
I agree with the above & most would find the 105 micro too sharp & end up using some type of defusion filter.....Bill

G

I have the 105/2.5 AI and it is my FAVORITE portrait lens...Just excellent. The Micro has an unpleasing Bokeh, or out of focus areas making portraits look harsh. The 105/2 DC is an excellent portraint lens, but it is also costly because of the "DC".

G

The 105/2 DC is fast, very sharp and, when needed, you can use the DC as diffusion filter. Using the DC to control the Bokeh needs some practise. I bought mine second hand and never regretted it. If you are not into micro-photography forget the 2.8 micro

P

phiggy

I am fortunate to own both along with the 105 f2.5 and 85 f1.4.
If its portraits you want it for and you want to ratain AF anf matrix metering i would go for the 105 DC lens every time.
If you have an inyerest in macro though that also works very well and you can always soften with a filter or nylon stocking.

P

phiggy

Ooops just spotted date.
You have probably already made your choice.
blush.gif