DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Carl Zeiss ZS lenses (M42 mount) SD14 compatibility?

sendhil76

Hello,

Has anyone used the current ZS lens lineup from Zeiss with the SD14 + M42 adapter?? I would be very interested in knowing about your experiences...and pictures too if you can share them with me!

I am particularly interested in the following lenses at http://www.zeiss.com/photo

Distagon T* 2/35mm
Planar T* 1.4/50mm
Planar T* 1.8/85mm

Thanks in advance!

I have the ZF lenses....
85 1.4
50 1.4
35 2.0

They work well on the Sigma....you just need to change the mount from sigma SA to Nikon-F...very clean and clear....I do own a Jena 180 2.8 M42 that I have an SA mount adapter for....that is spot on...

Most of the shots I have done with the SD14 and Zeiss can be viewed here...Flickr Account

Good Luck....

Thank you very much!

I intend to get myself the ZS (M42 mount) versions of the lenses at present...though i am still researching the mount conversions...

Are you aware of any image focus confirmation enabled mounts? I read someplace that there are version of mounts which have electronic chips in them to indicate focus confirmation?

Thank you very much!

I intend to get myself the ZS (M42 mount) versions of the lenses at present...though i am still researching the mount conversions...

Are you aware of any image focus confirmation enabled mounts? I read someplace that there are version of mounts which have electronic chips in them to indicate focus confirmation?

Thats only for Canon EF mount, not for the Sigma SA mount. M42-SA adapters are simple mechanical adapters. Make sure you get one with the built in AA pin compressor flange or many of your M42 lenses will be stuck wide open when used on the SA mount.

Are you aware of any image focus confirmation enabled mounts?
You don't need such confirmation for SD14 - it can do that itself. In case you change batteries, you need to attach some Sigma AF lens first, turn camera on, off and change lens to M42 one.

Thats only for Canon EF mount, not for the Sigma SA mount. M42-SA adapters are simple mechanical adapters. Make sure you get one with the built in AA pin compressor flange or many of your M42 lenses will be stuck wide open when used on the SA mount.

Where would you purchase the "correct" M42-SA adaptor from?
Thanks

Thanks Arvo,
I am thinking about getting a SD15 and was looking for a wide angle prime for doing landscape work. I am not a big fan of wa zoom lenses.
If I got the M42 adaptor, what M42 lens would you recommend?
Is there anything out there that can get me close to 24mm equiv. to 35mm FF?

Steven

From what I've read, there are not so much usable WA lens for Sigma (or APS-C format camera) users. And there's one more problem - many WA lens create green corners in Sigma cameras. This can be corrected afterwards, but you should know that nevertheless.

To get 24mm equivalent, you need 14mm lens (24mm/1.7). Using 17mm lens (much more common) you get about 28mm equivalent. These are UWA lens in M42/35mm world.

Actually this question would be best answered by DSG - he has experimented probably with half of lens ever produced :) But while he prepares his answer, I just can quote his words, what he recommended me (I asked about not so expensive lens): "Tamron or Tokina 17mm prime. The Tamron is better but then it does cost more."

From what I've read, there are not so much usable WA lens for Sigma (or APS-C format camera) users. And there's one more problem - many WA lens create green corners in Sigma cameras. This can be corrected afterwards, but you should know that nevertheless.

To get 24mm equivalent, you need 14mm lens (24mm/1.7). Using 17mm lens (much more common) you get about 28mm equivalent. These are UWA lens in M42/35mm world.

Actually this question would be best answered by DSG - he has experimented probably with half of lens ever produced :) But while he prepares his answer, I just can quote his words, what he recommended me (I asked about not so expensive lens): "Tamron or Tokina 17mm prime. The Tamron is better but then it does cost more."

Thanks Arvo. I actually have a manual focus Sigma 14mm f3.5 lens in M42 mount which is equivalent to a 24mm on 35mm format, but I dont thinks its as good as the later and faster f2.8, SA mount, AF version.
The Tamron 17mm f3.5 is a much better lens.

Back