DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax Digital in YC Mount

Craig, could you elaborate on one thing? With the image you gave us the link to on-line, you said that when you adjusted the perspective in photoshop, that the results were unacceptable.

To my eye, the required adjustment is quite small. This could easily be achieved with a movable sensor in a digital camera, without image-circle constraints. However, it seems to me that in this case it would be quite easily addressed in photoshop, which is a much less expensive solution and one that is widely available to many of us!

Would you consider trying this again with the same image, and doing the perspective adjustment at the beginning of the process, from the original .tif file that you used? Just to see if it worked to your satisfaction? (you would pull laterally outward on the bottom of the image slightly to widen it).

Paul Butler

Paul, in the particular image that you saw, the adjustment is relatively small, and that is one of the shots that can get away with a small amount of perspective correction.

I am on extended travels right now, and won't get back to my studio for over a month, and therefore don't have access to the original file.

I have done the perspective correction on many different images, and I understand how it works. What I don't like about it is precisely what you said in your post: "you would pull laterally outward on the bottom of the image to slightly widen it". This results in a distortion of the image away from it's natural proportions. The buildings look too wide, as indeed thay have become. The building is being stretched away from it's natural aspect ratio. It becomes "fat".

Furthermore, I shot this image on 6x9 medium format for the purpose of printing it large at 13" x 19". There is an incredible amount of detail in that image because of the fine detail in the buildings. Windows and building design features are very small, especially in the distance. These details become soft or distorted when I apply more than a little perspective correction.

The image you saw was shot with a 90mm lens, equivalent to a 39mm lens in 35mm format. The building's divergence is not too serious, which is why I leave the image as it is, and don't mind to show it on the web site. The problam is with the images shot on my other 6x9 camera which has a wide angle 65mm lens, equivalent to a 28mm lens in 35mm format. The divergence of the buildings with that lens is unacceptable. And the degree of perspective correction required in Photoshop results in obvious distortions and artefacts. I tried it. I didn't like it. And consequently I don't put those images on my web site.

I appreciate the suggestions everyone is making on this forum, but for now I remain in favour of a shift lens or shift sensor. If shift wasn't important, view cameras wouldn't have it.

Regards,

Craig

Ansel Adams is certainly resting easier in his grave, as the result of these discussions (he advocated camera movements for most situations, not just architectural work). Until someone produces a movable sensor, this is one of the alternatives in C/Y mount - what the "adapter" accomplishes in reality vis. camera functions, I couldn't say:
http://www.arsenal-photo.com/tilt.htm
(manufactured by the distant cousins that we don't talk about . . . )

Paul Butler

Just announced by Minolta is their new Dimage Ai which has a movable CCD. The promoted purpose for the movable CCD is an anti-shake mechanism, but the demo video of the movements shows significant amounts of vertical and horizontal shift are possible. It seems that shift and tilt are not impossible after all.
See:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/minoltadimagea1/

Regards,

Craig

Back