DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sony Alpha 100

Ahmm?

Did any camera in the history of photography have the same grip as the succeeding model?

Ok the a100 has no grip, it's a 5D upgrade not a 7D upgrade, that will come later.
BTW your 7D will take pictures just as well as it did before the a100 came out, enjoy it.

I don't even think the A100 is a 5D upgrade. With the exception of the memory and the lens system, I think the A100 is a new camera.

I'm beginning to suspect that it was Sony that pushed Minolta out of the business because they were going to offer a camera at a lower price level with the same feature set including the camera body image stabilization feature and Minolta knew that would kill them. They sold out when they could. Yes, it's just speculation.

Anyway, I'm going to take a wait and see approach to this situation. My next priority is a long telephoto zoom anyway. Then I'll be interested in what Sony does with a camera body. I'll definitely want one with the vertical grip. It's very nice to have.

Hello,

I handled the new Sony Alpha today for the first time and I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. I found it bulky and plasticky. It also has a very small view finder. The camera did not seem at all well made. I think that Sony will have to do better than this if it wishes to take the market by storm as it is suggesting. This is despite the favourable reviews that I have read. I know that nearly all DSLR's suffer from small view finders but I had hoped for an improvement in this brand new new model.
I was interested in the camera because there are to be Carl Zeiss lenses for it and I am a user of the now defunct Contax brand looking for somewhere to migrate in this digital era.
Cheers,
John

i just got one myself. believe it or not i got it from circuitcity while its not still released even by sony.

think its better than my other cameras. one disappointment for me is the flash not automatically popping up if needed.

I hope you have lots of enjoyment from it. I have read that the results it produces are very good.

I also think it sounds to have some very innovative features such as dust removal on switch off and steady cam together with that sensor.
Cheers

Just handled the A100 yesterday and although it does feel cheap compared to a 7D, I have say I was quite impressed.

The handling is good, the AF is very quick and the controls are well placed.
I have to agree if does feel cheap and the viewfinder is smaller than a 7D (exactly like the 5D), especially if your coming from a quality 35mm such as Contax. (but most cameras below £1200 will feel cheap in that case anyway)

You have to keep in mind this is an entry level DSLR, you are not going to get a Nikon D200 feel for this price.
However, you will get the guts of the D200 performance, which is pretty remarkable
happy.gif

Before anyone adds small points, I mean you get D200 resolution, not a weather sealed body, 5 fps and all the other goodies on the big Nikon.

I am very happy Sony continued (and improved) the KM Anti Shake feature, this is IMHO one of the most useful features ever introduced to the DSLR market.
No one seems to count how much it's worth, in terms of the overall cost of the camera.
For me it's worth maybe 15 to 20% of the overall price which I will gladly pay.
For all of us using AS (or SSS) I think it's safe to say, that once you'd had it and used it you don't want to be without it again.

Nice one Mr Sony, can we have a 7D replacement now please? lol

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your very interesting comments. I suppose I have to accept that £600 only buys an entry level DSLR. I hadn't apreciated the point about KM 5D versus 7D but in the end it is always the results that count and the Alpha does seem to give very good results.

Anti shake does appeal to me as does (very much) the anti dust feature.

I think I shall wait until the system has matured a little. I think they will bring out a 7D equivalent and maybe cameras still better than that as they are apparantly launching a full scale attack on the DSLR market.

Back