DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax IIIa

rbudding

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a Contax IIIa. Henry Scherer is offering a new program - he will locate and purchase a camera on contract and restore it to usable condition. Participants pay the cost of the camera plus the normal service charge. There is no additional charge for locating and procuring the camera - just the cost of the camera itself. I'll end up with a very nice Contax IIIa for less money than a new TVSD. This should be a lot of fun!

With all respect to the Contax IIIa, one of my favorite cameras, and to Harry Scherer, who is doing yeoman's work in keeping so many of them alive and functional, did you look at the Cosina/Voigtländer R2C? As a mount for the great Zeiss lenses, it addresses what I feel is the IIIa's greatest drawback, the tiny viewfinder image, among other issues like film advance/cocking via lever rather than knob.
And it is commercially available, which is very handy in the event that your camera is stolen or broken.
It's worthy of a serious look, in my book.
charlie barringer

Harry Schere does more than keeping the Contax alive and functioning - he virtually re-manufactures them to factory specs or better.

The Voightlander R2C has many virtues but it is not a Contax and that is not its purpose. Personally I do not mind knob advance (it slows me down and helps make my picture taking more deliberate)and prefer to use the wide RF base and unique shutter mechanism of the Contax. If I wanted a modern camera with modern optics I would go with the Leica M mount R2 or a Leica with Cosina or Leica lenses - I used Leica Ms for years and their virtues are well known.

For my current purposes the bank vault feel of the Contax and the very less than modern Zeiss optics do very well indeed - everytime I pick up the RC2 and try to tempt myself I just don't like the feel. I classic RF is just not the same as a re-worked inexpensive Japanese SLR.

Michael Schub

Congratulations! Over the years I have not been able to decide which is greater: Henry's talents as a Contax technician or his unassailable personal character. Henry has restored/refurbished two Contax IIa's and a Contax II, along with every lens I own for these cameras and I consider every penny spent to be a bargain.

As knowledgeable enthusiasts we can argue until the cows come home about which is better, this and that...I own Alpa, Leica, Nikon, and Rollei, but I am especially fond of the Contaxes. Congratulations on your decision and I hope that you enjoy the utmost satisfaction with your camera.

Cheers,

Doug

Hello,
is it a black dial or a color dial Contax III ?
In different have the black dial a spezial flash contact and special cable. the color dial Contax III have a international flash contact work with all electronic flashes.
Please attantion the Voigtländer/ Cosina camera RC 2 have a littel different in bajonett. It's not a original Contax bajonett, but a littel different bajonett like Nikon Rangefinder.
For Wideangel lens are not a problem, but with tele lens and Rangfinder with Contax/Kiev tele lens.
peter müller

Robert, I'm trying to avoid further camera purchases, but you're not helping!
happy.gif

I was most impressed to see Henry's art when I can across his Zeiss web site. His new service makes perfect sense. Nothing gained by my ignorantly picking a broken-down heap from eBay, when he can do so with an expert eye. Either way, it goes to him for the Ãœber-CLA.

OK, my confession: I want the IIa. I tried to distract myself with other RFs (Contax T, Leica M) but the bank-vault feel, to use Michael's words, is what I crave. As for squinty VF, I'm fully prepared to use an external VF, like the C/V brightline versions. I'm fairly resigned to their use even on the Leica M except at the one prescribed FL (35mm on my body).

Please keep us informed as to your purchase.

Now I need some help from folks here that have experience with the Contax rangefinder cameras. I'm leaning toward the IIIa. And it seems that there are advantages to the color dial - although the increased complexity over the black dial could make it less reliable. Opinions? Should I consider a different model? And what lens should I get initially? Any other features that I should consider?

Thanks for the help.
Robert

I would shoot for a IIa rather than the metered model. I wouldn't expect the meter to work on any you find, and it makes the camera larger. Try to find one that hasn't been used much. The shutter mechanism can be cleaned and lubed, but repairs are difficult if not impossible if the metal has crystalized.

Robert,
I use the 21mm Biogon and 35mm Orthometar most often, then perhaps an even split between a 50/1.5 Sonnar and the 85/2. I have a variety of 50's, each with their own characteristics (place of manufacure, f/1.5 or f/2, collapsible, etc.), and a 35mm Biogon which is much easier to find than an Orthometar. As with any system, it really depends upon your preferences. One lens to start with? Probably the 50/1.5 Sonnar would be my suggestion; check Gandy's site for the differences between versions. Have fun and good luck hunting!

Cheers,

Doug

P. S. Regarding a camera; like other members I prefer the IIa also because of its size. Henry recently finished a Contax II for me, and after having used it a bit I would also recommend that model, as well.

Doug

Back