DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 21mm lens filters lenshade workarounds

G

contax doesn't make a shade for their 21. some have recommended using a 55 to 67mm step-up ring. If I use a 55mm filter and then add the stepup ring to it , will it vignette?
I'd like to avoid using the more costly wa filters and thin filters if possible.

"//Support us - DONATE to Contaxinfo.com! Look in the Forum!//"

?

christopher wrote: "contax doesn't make a shade for their 21. some have recommended using a 55 to 67mm step-up ring. If I use a 55mm filter and then add the stepup ring to it , will it vignette? I'd like to avoid using the more costly wa filters and thin filters if possible." It will probably vignette; lenses with such a wide angle of view can't take much extension. The easiest way to check on vignetting is to spend a few test exposures on this combination. It is also possible to find out whether vignetting occurs by calculation, but then you'll need to dive into the Zeiss specs for this lens. Relevant reading is found at:

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/vignetting.html#me chanical

and=20

http://www.vanwalree.com/optics/lenshood.html#vign etting

W.

So true. There is no reason for the title to be repeated in the subject lin= e AND the first 4 lines of the message. If you want donations that=B9s fine but do we have to read it on every message right after the repeating title??!! You might as well just start having pop up windows and banner ads... --------

van Walree on Friday, August 09, 2002 - 12:40 am: =20 The way our messages are mutilated is a plain disaster.

Paul, John,

I added the hint for donation to Contaxinfo.com in the e-mail headers not without any reason. Read the point in the FAQ and you will understand it.

dirk

I feel the topic obout the G21mm hood is much ado about nothing. This glass simply doesn't need a hood! Another great advantage of non-retrofocus lens design (as used in the G21) is the simplicity of the lens configuration resulting in reduced internal reflection, in other words, less flare. I have used this lens in many situations, sometimes directly into very bright sunlight (even at high altitude) with zero flaring. It really is amazing. My tip is simply not to worry and have confidence in the glass and T* coating of this lens.

My experience is exactly the same as Pato Maco's. I very often use the 21 mm in all conditions even directly into the sun and the lens DOES NOT flare!

Marc-paul

Back