DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning lenses

martinrosol

My lenses are getting smudged and I want to know the best way to clean them. I use neutral and UV filters now, which will minimize the problem going forward. A few lenses have finger prints and some fog on the surface. I've read/heard that the lenses are coated. Does this affect the way they should be cleaned?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Hi Martin,
there is a special solution made by Zeiss for the T-Coated lenses that doesn't affect the coating. It is sold by Foto Huppert in Germany who ships also to other parts of the world. His website: www.foto-huppert.de
Yours Clemens

Hello,

Surely just a good quality lens cloth and breathing on the glass will do the trick? I have been using these T* lenses for 5 years without any problems. I think that if the coating is so fragile, the makers would build lens covers within the lens. I think that UV filters are good but not essential.

Vishal.

Zeiss Lens Cleaner (item # 97532) is available in 85 ml (3 oz.) pump spray bottles in the USA for $4.95 from a number of sources - just stuff Zeiss Lens Cleaner into Google's search engine. It is labelled for use on Zeiss anti-reflective, multi-coated lenses. I've used it without difficulty on my camera lenses and my plastic-lensed eyeglasses. The solution is made by Nanofilm in Cleveland, OH under license from Zeiss. I guess this explains it's relatively low selling price v. imported solutions.
wink.gif

Dave

On a related matter, I have been getting up early for the last few mornings to take "misty morning" early spring photos. I have been using various Cokin P filters, (graduated blue, soft focus, center spot, etc) and I have come across a problem. Since I have about 30 different filters, I keep them in a CD wallet. When I withdraw a filter from its sleeve, it charges up electrostatically and attracts every bit of dust/fluff in the neighbourhood. If I try to clean the filter with a lens cloth, it then turns into a mini Van de Graff generator and one can even hear the sparks. I assume this is because the filters are made from polycarbonate, which is an excellent insulator. A lens brush/puffer does not work either. Can I get a metallised lens cloth or has anyone else any other ideas? Wilson

Thanks Wilson,after your experience I give up searching any compact holder to my Cokins.I'll continue to carry them with me in their original boxes.They take some unavoidable space,but do we have any other choice?

For your info, Cokin make their own filter holder - it holds 7 filters and adaptor rings and does look like a cd holder. It costs around £10 - not as cost effective as a cd holder, but it may be what you are looking for. You could also buy an anti-static cloth - I have seen those for around £5.

Good luck, Saras

Hi Martin,

There is a product called OptiClean that I would recommend using before any polishing with a cloth. It is a fluid polymer, packaged in a bottle similar to those used for nail varnish, and you apply the stuff to the lens surface with the brush. It dries quite quickly then you remove it with a piece of tape. The whole layer comes off as a single sheet, which looks very much like a circular piece of clingfilm.

OptiClean will remove some greasy marks but more importantly it will pick up any specs of grit or grime, including some which won't shift with a blast from the aerosol. I've made this a part of my cleaning procedure ever since I put a nice scratch in the rear element of my 35/1.4 Distagon, just shortly after acquiring it.

Also, regarding canned air, I've switched over to the small CO2 canisters, since with the regular aerosol cans I find you have the choice of either holding them too far away to be fully effective, or else holding them close enough and getting propellant on the glass.

Wilson, have you tried one of the Ilford anti-static cloths? Sounds like just what you need.

Regards to all,

-= mike =-

Wilson:

There is an excellent product by the name of Staticmaster. It has a fine camel hair brush and a radio active pellet that removes the static. It was designed for lens and slides. They recommend replacing the pellet every six months but my 25 and 30 year old ones still work extremely well. They are available in a variety of widths.

Good Luck

Gilbert

Back