DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Cleaning lenses

Staticmasters are great. Another possibility from the HiFi world is the Zerostat anti-static "gun." They seem to have come back as part of the vinyl resurgence.

-Rick

Actually, there is quite a number of applicable possibilites from the hi-fi world.

Probably the best thing out there from hifi world to be brought to photo department would be Furutech PC-2 cd clening-demagnetizing fluid (comes with very nice microfiber cloth). This thing really not only cleans but removes static electricity as well (and does it very, very good!)

Although it is completely neutral (actually, I use it to clean lens on a VERY expensive cd transport, eventhough it's not it's intended use) I wouldn't use it on Zeiss optics (for the sake of that T* thing) but on anything less than that, absolutely.

Sead}}

I have tried various cleaning fluids e.g. Zeiss, Laptop Screen Fluid, etc and they all seem to smear on the polycarbonate Cokin filters. I am using a Pentax microfibre cloth that is supposedly anti static. It works beautifully on glass lenses but not on the polycarbonate. I have emailed Staticmaster to ask if they have a UK agent, as, if I try to get something mailed to me from the USA that contains a Polonium radioactive capsule, I would probably have the UK equivalent of a SWAT team arriving at my front door. I will have to look in my attic as there may well be an old Zerostat gun up there along with the Thorens TD165 record deck. Wilson

Hi Wilson,

If you do have any luck finding a UK supplier for the Staticmaster, please let me know, it sounds like a useful addition to the cleaning kit.

Thanks,

-= mike =-

Vishal:

I used to wripe my lenses with soft leather and "my breath", and there was no problem. However, recently, my brother gave me a box of that zeiss cleaner, and I tell you what, it does make a different! My lenses are like new now and am very happy!
happy.gif

Hi,
I have a silly question to ask.
I need to clean the rear side of my CZ lense.
Can we use those solution on both side of the lense? I have no idea about those anti-reflective, multi-coating stuff. So, I'm curious if the lense is coated the same way on both side.
BTW, I found that zeiss cleaner set on ebay, for 26.00USD plus shipping.
Thanks

Back