CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

180 f28 AF very slow focusing

G

I recently purchased a 180 f2.8 AF second series (crinkle finish, wide MF ring), and it is very slow in autofocusing.
Setting the lens in AF, on a F100 body it takes about 2 second2 to go from infinity to the closest distance and back.
What's your experience about it? Is it normal?

G

Mine is slow, but it does not seem that slow. The F100 has the same focus motor as my D1. You might wan to have it looked at.

G

Riccardo,
I have the same lens & it 'snaps' into focus on my camera (N90s)...Slow focus on an F100 doesn't sound right to me,....Bill

J

joel_rainville

I have the exact same lens, and on my N80, it does indeed take a long time to focus from one end to the other. 2 seconds sounds like what I get on my N80, but it may even be longer, I'll try to check tonight.

My 70-210 f/4-5.6 AF is as slow, but all other lenses I use (24mm f/2.8 AF-D, 35mm f/2 AF, 50mm f/1.8 AF-D and 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF) are reasonably fast.

I guess the 180 wasn't designed for fast sports/wildlife/action shooting... I'd be curious to know how well it does on an F5 though.

juba

Load your F100 with an MB-15 and it will help.
The 180mm f/2.8 isn`t the fastest of the lenses from Nikon, if you shoot sports, for sure this isn`t your glass.
I shoot landscapes with it and it`s an amazing piece of glass.

Cheers

Juba

juba

I think it`s normal to take longer in your (I also have one) F80 Joel, it seems the F80 use the Cam 900 and the F100/F5 use the 1300.
Probably the 180mm will have the same speed coupled to a F5 or a F100.

Cheers

Juba