CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

180f28 14x or 250mm

C

Cwoodhou

I need a longer lens than the 150. I like the idea of the 180 / 1.4 Schneider combination, but how does this combination stack up against a 250mm CZ optically?

ccscho

I think if you don't mind the lost of f-stop and heavier weight, perhaps the Schneider 140-280 may also worth your consideration.

Just my 2 cents.

cmdr

Dear Cwoodhou,

I think that you would find the Schneider 180 Tele Xenar 2.8 lens, along with the 1.4 Longar to be a very versatile combination. Having a 250 lens is quite cumbersome to carry around unless you have a specific need for this focal length on a frequent basis. If your requirements dictate making enlargements beyond 11"x14", the Schneider 180 Tele Xenar will provide better performance in the outer edges. If you go to the rolleiusa.com website, you can see the MTF charts for both of these lenses.

Regards,
Dale

C

Cwoodhou

thanks, mechanic, I remember seeing some MTF charts of the 180 / 1.4 combo, but I cannot remember where. Maybe it is on the Schneider site.

dkhaw

Dear Rollei Friends
Does any one have any experience on the use of either the x1.4 and x2.0 Longar Converters with the 180/2.8 tele-Xenar? I am interested if there is a fallout in the sharpness or very noticeable degradation of the pictures larger than 16" X 16".

Kind rgds
Daniel

cmdr

Dear Daniel,

Anytime you introduce a tele converter with a lens, the optical performance is almost always h&ered to a certain extent. The Schneider 1.4 Longar is optically calibrated for use with the 180 2.8 Schneider Tele Xenar as well as the 300 4.0 Tele Xenar and the 80 2.0 Xenotar lenses. The 2.0 converter is more of a universal type converter, and the optical performance with the 180 2.8 will not be on par as compared to the 1.4 Longar.

There are two versions of the 180 2.8 lens with different MTF ratings. If the rear bayonet of your 180 2.8 lens is st&ed CE, than you probably have one of the newer version optical formulas. A serial number of # 14581933 or prior generally fell into the catagory of the older optical formula version of the 180 2.8 Tele Xenar lens. The older version actually has a higher resolving power from the center of the negative close to the outer edge, but the newer version has better overall performance from the center to the very edge of the negative. Nevertheless, both versions are stellar performers of a very high order.

My experience with using the 1.4 Longar with the 180 2.8 Schneider is that the shawdow detail and edge sharpness is not quite as good with a size 16"x16" print. Depending on your subject, you may or may not notice a difference. With landscapes, I doubt that you would be able to see any difference at all. If your subject contains very fine and intricate detail, and you are able to view two prints side by side of the same subject, one taken with the 1.4 Longar and one without, then you might notice a difference. Moreover, shooting at 2.8 with or without the use of the 1.4 Longar, I cannot discern any difference in the optical performance other than the difference in the focal length perspective.

Regards,
Dale

C

Cwoodhou

>Just to clarify, when you discuss differences, are you talking about a shot with the 180, enlarged to the same print image size as one with the converter, or are you answering the poster's subject line about comparing the 180 with 1.4 against a 250?

dkhaw

Hi Chris Thank you for your specific question. I am referring to the former: a shot with the 180, enlarged to the same print size as one with the converter.

Thanks & regards Daniel

C

Cwoodhou

I'll be getting a 1.4 converter soon and will try it with the Schneider 80 and 150mm lenses. It will be interesting to see if a further enlargement has equivalent resolution to the extended lens. If it does, then the only benefit will be for slide workers or those who value minimal grain above all else.

dkhaw

Hi Dale - thank you for your thorough response which I find very useful.
Chris - when you get your converter, kindly share your experience on it with us.
Regards
Daniel

C

Cwoodhou

No problem, I have a calibrated test target and a 50x Peak microscope. I will give centre and edge resolutions from the same standpoint, rather than a standard multiple of the focal length.