DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Night Sky: the Milky Way

toisondor

I know there are experts at astrophotography here, so I hesitate to post my humble first attempts. I just wanted to see if I could capture a piece of the Milky Way in a single wide-open shot. A beautiful fall evening, a hundred miles from city lights, the galactic cloud was clearly visible overhead. I set my SD14 on a short-legged tripod and pointed straight up and tried a number of things. Instead of layering multiple shots, I simply set time to bulb and held my finger on the wired remote for about 45 seconds (18-50mm EX Macro lens set at 18). Of multiple shots with different settings, this one came out best.

View attachment 2148

And here is a 100% detail:

View attachment 2149

As you can see there's plenty of noise at ISO 800, but I am pleased to get so many clear stars and a bit of the cloud. I'll try again some time when the MW is closer to the horizon. It would be nice to have a silhouetted hill, or a tree or farmhouse for a sense of orientation and proportion.

The most important adjustments in SPP are Exposure at 1.9 and Fill light at 0.6 (plus noise reduction, which helped a little bit).

Any other tips for a complete beginner?

Jesse

Attachments

• JDH-MilkyWay.jpg
    EXIF
    JDH-MilkyWay.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 12
  • JDH-MilkyWayDetail.jpg
    EXIF
    JDH-MilkyWayDetail.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 10
Jesse...I would get a stacking program...you can take anywhere from 3 to 100 pictures of the same sky...and let the software stack them together to get a more detailed and cleaner image...down side...you will have to shoot in JPG...or convert every RAW image before stacking it...

I usually shoot about 10 images in RAW then stack them for good results...plus you get details that a single shot does not show...

Both Mac and PC versions of the software are out there...and everyone has there favorite...I would play with a freeware first...there is a bunch of good freeware out there for this...

Good luck...and not bad... :z04_bier01:

Tony C.

Back