DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Comparing Sigma SD15 with SD14

difference?

What I see is no differences worth mentioning.

Sigma sd15 is obviously a sd14 with bigger screen an extra button, and SD card.
The only thing which might be useful is better software which from the RAW files seems to me present here.

Having in mind this, Sigma could spare themselves the effort to produce SD15. Instead they could make just a simple firmware update for SD14.

The camera is still bulky and uncomfortable to use. Probably still as slow as SD14.
We all can live with this because they make so good images.

The real problem in SD14, which is present in SD15 still, is the 4 MP resolution which is getting stupid already. A 4 MP camera use is very limited if you are to do real job with it.

So if there was something which really needed change in the new model this was the resolution/sensor size.

I am definitely not buying Sigma SD15. I have learned to use well SD14 and the "new" one can't give me more and worst of all can't help me when I need bigger prints since it is still lousy 4 MP.

The FOVEON is very nice sensor. Maybe Sigma should sell it to someone who can actually make real cameras?

.........................................needed change in the new model this was the resolution/sensor size.

I am definitely not buying Sigma SD15. I have learned to use well SD14 and the "new" one can't give me more and worst of all can't help me when I need bigger prints since it is still lousy 4 MP.

The FOVEON is very nice sensor. Maybe Sigma should sell it to someone who can actually make real cameras?

Adrian,
All depends on what use need to (for mine is perfect.... I understand yours), anyway for me it's not so far from other brands, the problems are known, and they will fix it in next projects ....I wish.

I think Sigma is waiting even a new Foveon sensor to be made, I don't know, maybe Foveon can have some tech-problems to upgrade......???

SD15 really don't have big differences, I like the half time writing, big screen.... ....but need to spend double and upgrade from my SD14????

Maybe who didn't try a Foveon yet, start directly from the SD15 is a good Idea with some more money..... :)

I'm waitng a new Foveon Sensorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!! :) Wish Full frame, or 6x6

p.s. Thanks to Dirk

In cammera JPEGs

I'd like to see an out-of-the-cammera jpeg. My biggest dissapintment with SD14 was that after a 1 week and 1600 shots vacation it took me about one month to convert them to jpeg. I know that foveon is an RAW sensor, but for vacation shots jpeg is ok for me.
Thanks!

Re: In cammera JPEGs

A month?!
Why don't you do a batch conversion?

You need perhaps a new faster computer.

Because doing a batch conversion would be the same thing as shooting jpeg as batch conversion doesn't auto precesses the image, it just converts X3F to JPEG. And not all shots were taken in the same conditions. The computer is fast enough, I belive (Phenom X4 9550, 8GB RAM, 4 500GB HDDs in RAID 0, HD4870).
So, jpegs please!

I can't help you with jpg. I never shoot jpg and I have SD14 and do not plan to buy 15.
However you might be able to optimize the workflow.

If you use SPP you can batch-convert all in one time, choose the worthy images, ditch the others and work with image per image conversion and settings after.

You can use also Lightroom if available - much faster and generally better from my point of view.

If you want to do all the tweaking in the camera while shooting and have a ready product without post-processing I don't see a camera which can help you. No matter which one you get you'll never have much control on the jpg engine in the camera.

I also used to have problem with overwhelming quantity of images and time consuming choosing and editing in post-processing. That was before I learned when NOT to shoot.
I don't know about you, but for me, if I go out for a week and return with 2 000 images there will be 1900 good for the trash, 100 worthy a second look and about 15 which are good (and probably 1-2 of portfolio quality).
So often I prefer to not shoot and I would return with 300 or so images, which is much easier from processing point of view.

They are vacation photos, and 99% of them are meant for keeping, not for portfolio. I'm not a professional photographer and it kills me to carry an SD14 + 18-200 OS and an Nikon D200 + 18-200 VR when I take a trip. And when i get home and look at the pictures, the ones made with Nikon look soooo soft that scary me (they make me believe that something might be wrong with the camera).
That's why I'm interested in SD15 JPEGs. If they look good enough to dump my D200 they'll make my life a lot easier.
JPEG's anyone? Please!

over exposure warning

hi.

the one thing that annoys me the most in SD14 is the broken overexposure warning. SD10 always marked overexposed areas in red but SD14 stubbornly ignores even the most obvious.

is it fixed in sd15? this would be good enough reason for me to upgrade. I have way too many underexposed photos just to be sure my highlights were preserved (and many clipped in highlights before i was over cautious)...

cheers
Pawel

Back