DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

NSFW inspired by Ruth Bernhard

JemRaid

12_new.jpg

Difficult to pose and learn how she used three lights.
Just my personal opinion trying to emulate the work of others is how I teach myself.

Cheers - J

Hello Klaus,

Many thanks for your kind comment I am grateful for the opportunity to explain. At the time I posted the image I thought someone would realise that the figure is not a real one so you and anyone else looking does deserve an explanation. To start with she is not AI, most A1 creations that I see on Flickr pose like sacks of potatoes. The figure is DAZ3D's G8F Emma who can be posed very well indeed, one joint at a time.

Sadly this is also true of lots of models on the modelling sites, most of whom disappear after a few months happy with the nice portraits they walk away with.

For further explanation may I offer this image to enlarge on my explanation. If I was rolling in the readies I might be able to persuade a Ballet dancer to walk a couple of miles, some of it sloshing through mud to get to the bottom of these steps, but, would the light be right, would the time be right, would the weather be OK, they never coincide.
Sophie.jpg

The DAZ3D models have become much better over the years and one person in particular Adam Thwaites designs them very well indeed. The DAZ software is free and comes with some figures so the person using it can do some rendering. There is also a dedicated forum where one will find lots of help.

No doubt the future bodes well for more realism from DAZ. One must also bear in mind that this along with Second Life has become a genre it its own right. I joined Flickr on the 7th March this year, just looked at the stats and I have 102 followers and 161.6k views.

I am going to do a screencast 'how to' for some of the people who asked on Flickr, explaining how to begin posing and rendering, it will be using nude figures and therefore unsuitable for YT I will send it to those interested via WeTransfer.

My best wishes - J

Dear Klaus,

You might have said thank you for the explanation, I thought this forum was going to be a place for good manners and politeness.
You quite right though, but It's what I enjoy doing and I would offer you the same broadness of understanding.

Best wishes - J

Hi Jem, I'm sorry for the somewhat curt answer, please don't take it personally. I have no quarrel with you doing what you enjoy, but think a new, separate forum for creations like yours would be in place.

Hello Claus,

Many thanks for your post it's very kind of you I think you are one of the few who are beginning to understand what's happening and why we have the renaissance of Flickr.

I would like to explain where I'm coming from after you've seen above where I am at the moment. I do illustrate my comments with images so I'll begin with Anne W Brigman from C.1908 and her allegorical self portrait "The Soul of the blasted Pine".
Anne.jpg

Please observe her pose carefully; the stretch, the angle of her head, the angle of her hand. The pose indicates that she actually is the Soul she makes me believe it.

In a simpler fashion and from your scribe is this montage.
Tree.jpg

Our skin is in platelets as is the bark on Trees. Both are from the same evolutionary path which diverted millions of years ago.

And 'Back Alley'
BA.jpg

Back Alley is part nightmare part hopeful of overcoming its own shortcomings as a place to live and work. It's somewhere most people walk past without a second glance and there it stays melded into the local community, in equal measures a dump for rubbish, a home for those who live at the back or above the shops and businesses, a shortcut for those who live adjacent to it and all around, the scattered evidence of its darker night time activity.

In 1994 Adobe added Layers to Ps4 which gave birth to Digital Art Montage, next year will see its 30th anniversary. As I dived into it in 1998 with help from Catherine McIntyre and Sandy Gardner I thought it would proliferate exponentially around the world, it hasn't.

And yet it is the one way that photographers can take their expression further by using several photographs to tell a story in one image, in the same way as Claude Lorain and J.M.W.Turner. Lastly I find that my attempts to blend a DAZ3D model into a photo I've taken the most difficult and at the same time the most enjoyable when I obtain a reasonable result

Best wishes - J

I agree with Klaus, that this has nothing to do with photography. Therefore I don' t even know if this belongs in photography websites/forums.
But still..... you clearly produce/create images and with interesting results.
Don't know anything about DAZ3D; this is in fact the first time I even read about its existence.
Might look deeper into these techniques.
Interesting.

By the way, with the very fast development of AI and techniques like this, I wouldn't t be surprised that photography will become even more of a niche than it already is. Maybe reserved for a few diehard hobbyists (like me ;-) ).

Hello

Thanks for your comments and for your interest in DAZ3D.
Here's a screenshot of the DAZ desktop
DAZ3D_SS.jpg

The model is a Genesis 3 one from Adam Thwaites https://www.most-digital-creations.com/
As you can see I'm using the tool with the bone symbol to adjust her right shin, which can be altered in 4 planes.
Invariably that alters the attitude of the foot and similar comtrols are available to alter the foot and toes.
I always start my figures with the A pose I have found it faster to accomplish than taking an existing pose and altering it.

In this Texture Shaded mode the figure can be worked on quite quickly. In order to Render it the mode has to be the NVIDIA Iray one.
On the right are some of the lighting controls, these are in addition to a set of studio lights that are also in the software.
As with the figure these lights including the daylight one you can see on the right can be oriented in the same ways. Even down to choosing a sun angle by Longitude/Latitude and time anywhere on the planet. The Rendered images can be saved as PNG's with or without a shadow depending on the background they are going into and opened as Layer1 in Ps and Copied and Pasted in the background photograph.

I use the sun inclination and angle of the shadows present in the photograph
Up to this point the steps are fairly straightforward, sometimes I can make a Selection around the figure and paste it underneath, use a Gradient to fill it and then the Transform tools to make it look like a shadow.
Then I bring the two images to 100% and use a Blur tool on the figure to make it look similar to the background.
If all that works out OK I then do some colour matching using Hue/Saturation and Colour Balance.

I might end up with a resonable image, if not I scrap it and start again. Lastly Pinterest is a great source of Ballet poses I use them to try to copy their poses.

Cheers - J

This forum is rapidly degenerating into the 'One Line' phone speak genre that infests all the other photo and many other forums. This will be my last post here.

Back