DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Uncommon Places

Tom Caldwell

With homage to Stephen Shore and his book "Uncommon Places"

R2011458-012s.jpg

Bland street, with majestic background that nobody notices ...

Ah, these are my favorite kinds of photographic images. I use the term "snapshots," although many find the term pejorative. A collection of images such as these, random images of what a photographer notices over time, makes for interesting viewing. At least for me... :)

Ah, these are my favorite kinds of photographic images. I use the term "snapshots," although many find the term pejorative. A collection of images such as these, random images of what a photographer notices over time, makes for interesting viewing. At least for me... :)
I was going out for walks with non-photographers, who busily chatted. I would pause for some photographs and then have to almost run to catch up. I would sometime say 'did you notice .....' and the answer was always 'no'.

I have come to believe that photography makes you see things that pass un-noticed otherwise. Photographers see and retain images much better than casual walkers.

Stephen Shore was instrumental in making even photographers see that even the mundane is worth documenting. But his special skill was in seeing the mundane - not worth the effort - sitting amidst something special - not even recognised as such by those that pass it by every day.

One special image remains in my memory - a roadside hoarding of the natural view that it was was blocking.

I agree with your observation that photo enthusiasts often "see" what others pass un-noticed.

I'm not familiar with Stephen Shore's work, but I shall start investigating it... right now.. Many thanks.

I was going out for walks with non-photographers, who busily chatted. I would pause for some photographs and then have to almost run to catch up. I would sometime say 'did you notice .....' and the answer was always 'no'.

I have come to believe that photography makes you see things that pass un-noticed otherwise. Photographers see and retain images much better than casual walkers.

Stephen Shore was instrumental in making even photographers see that even the mundane is worth documenting. But his special skill was in seeing the mundane - not worth the effort - sitting amidst something special - not even recognised as such by those that pass it by every day.

One special image remains in my memory - a roadside hoarding of the natural view that it was was blocking.
I totally agree with you Tom. My wife, not so much. She's much like your friends

With homage to Stephen Shore and his book "Uncommon Places"

View attachment 10166

Bland street, with majestic background that nobody notices ...

What do we see here?

Not the neat manicured gardens and regulation suburban dwellings? Well maintained road, kerb and gutters, with manicured lawns .... ugly power poles, a scattering of vehicles, not a person in sight. A car will drive through navigating the roads easily without a thought more than an easy obstacle to pass through to find somewhere more exciting.

Even the trees on the valley hills are standard dull natural Australian bushland. The trees of suburbia are the brighter colours of introduced species as if trying to liven up this quiet settled scene of middle class satisfaction.

The people here are quite happy but I am not sure if they really see and analyse their journey down this road as the prepare to navigate the bend at the end of the street.

I have not focused on the dwellings - just on the street.

Back