DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

First impressions Digilux 1

I ordered and received my Digilux 1 two weeks ago after several week's wait. Then I opened the box and began to study the owner's manual and after an hour or so I asked myself "do I really want to spend time on this when I have not utilized all the capability of my R8 and the four lenses I have for it?" The answer was "no" so I sent it back. I can see no advantage for me. So, when I have my film processed I will get it on a CD so that I can "play" with to my hearts content. By the way I have had Pentax and Contax with different lens. I gave the Pentax to one son and the Contax to another. Leica is so all-round satisfying!

HELLO ?
CAN ANY BODY TELL ME IF THERE ARE SOME OPTICAL ACCESSORIES USABLE ON THE DIGILUX 1 APART FROM THE LEICA ONES? DOES THE PANASONIC ONE FIT,? THANK YOU ?
KAYAL FROM FRANCE;

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Digilux and am taking a digital photo class. My instructor has said that a histogram is basically essential in taking high quality nature photographs. As far as I know there is no histogram on the digilux. Does anyone know of a good way of getting the best settings for exposure while on manual settings to get the best dynamic range ???

Dick Barrett in Las Vegas

Hello All,

I have been using my Digilux 1 for six months now and I am very happy with it. It is VERY fast to use, virtually no shutter delay. It takes very good photos which print at photographic quality at A4 enlargement size, could probably be further enlarged but I don't have an A3 printer. The ability to be able to adjust almost all settings manually also appeals to me greatly. It does, however, mean that the operator needs to know a bit about photography and be prepared to take the time to learn how to use the camera, it is an enthusiasts camera.

How large can a 1280pxx1024px image be printed using a top of the line digital printer, and still be comparable in quality to a print from a 35mm film?

I have a project that I was going to shoot on slide film and then have some Cibachromes made.

But a local shop has just installed a digital darkroom and I'm thinking of doing the pictures on my Digilux and taking the memory card to the shop for printing.

I live in a foreign country and do not have the words I need to discuss possibilities with the shop owner.

Hi, sorry it's been a while to answer this. Our DSL was down until this morning.

Regarding doing the digital prints. As I understand it, with the resolution of the Digilux 1, good 5x7 size can be made. Give something bigger a try, but 5x7 is all I've heard will look as good or better than film. Getting into a camera with 5 megapixels or bigger will increase your print size.

Film-Kodachrome 25 lots and lots of really small dots, so many that the spaces between those dots can't be seen, even on huge prints. A Press 3200 film, not so many dots so seeing the spaces between those fewer dots and the dots is easier in larger prints.

Digital-the same holds true, as I understand it, with a 4 megapixel camera, such as the digilux 1, the largest size for print to look as good as or better than film is 5x7. You might be able to find a way to make it look better, larger in your testing. 5 megapixels will give a pretty good 8x10.

I have found that in scanning film, to get the best results that the scanner can produce, I use the highest number of scan passes at the deepest bit depth and find there is a huge difference between the basic one pass 8 bit depth on the final print.

Does this help? Cathy, Atlanta Georgia, USA

The Digilux-1 can do far better, than 5x7 prints. You shlud be able to decent 11x14 prints from it. I've had one for about six months, and even shot a New York Times assignment with it. It's quality doesn'tcome near a film Leica, but for what it is, it is excellent.
Happy Snaps,

Thanks for the info. on achieving 11x14 prints with the Digilux. Glad to hear it. Cathy

Sal - lead me thru the math on this one - I am likely wrong on my calculations but.......

For inkjet printing at the minimum of 200 dpi your digital file for 11 x 14 is 2200 x 2800 = ~ 6 meg x 3 for RGB = 18 Meg and the Digilux only gives TIFF of 10 to 12 Meg. Any help you can give would be appreicated.

ernie nitka

I took my Digilux I on a trip to Costa Rica and Panama, and I'm very impressed with the results. I used the highest resolution (2240x1680) with minimum jpeg compression. So I managed to get (only) 149 pictures on 290 megabytes worth of memory card. Next time I will burn the pictures on a cd when I get the chance - I wasn't aware there where shops out there that offer this service already.
Recharging the battery was no problem whatsoever. I just bought myself a plug that fits Costarican outlets, the loader (automatically) did the rest.

I'm not sure how large one can print pictures like these before things get ugly. But I wouldn't hesitate offering some of the pictures to a (travel) magazine.

I enclose one s&le for you to judge the result. (Sorry about the logo in there, but, hey, it's mine and I want to keep it that way.)

38827.jpg

Back