DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Should I buy a Contax N1 and 24-85 zoom

Stephen - I am with Albert here. I am still not sure where some of purported stories come from about the N1 AF; certainly some camera's may not have worked well but I am sure you can find the same with Nikon or Canon camera's. At some point these stories start to lead their own life, it seems (thanks to the internet no doubt), without being footed in reality. In any event, I've had mine (N1) now for a year and a half and its AF is dead-on. The central sensor is faster and more sensitive in low light than the surrounding ones, but that is to be expected. In normal light they all work very well. The N1 is a much more sophisticated and sturdy camera than the NX, which is illustrated in their price differential. I think you would be sorely mistaken to take the NX over the N1 over a perceived mythical AF problem. The N1 is much larger and costly; that should be the only reason not to get it; otherwise it is a splendid camera, very easy to use. Also bear in mind that the flash on the NX only covers 28 mm -on, and will likely project a shadow with the huge 24-85 (which was for me the only reason to get this system) even without the large lens hood.

I am no sure what you would like to hear, but the n1 is one fine camera which I hope to use until digital becomes affordable and equal to film in quality (which si still years away for me, I'm sure). BTW, Velvia 100 and the N1/24-85 are a match made in heaven.

I have recently been using the NX and 28-80. The focus is fast and accurate. In low light it activates the AF sensor and had no problem focusing in low light. But compared to my older Nikon 601 with a Tamaron 28-200 the view finder is darker by 2 stops.

Stephen – Although I am new to this forum I have been using the N1 in combination with a 17-35, 24-85 and 70-300 mm for quite a while. My camera bears serial 006644 and definitely is one of the earlier ones made. Recently I took a number of pictures at a polo match. ONLY two were SLIGHTLY off! As you may know, polo is a (very) fast game and I must say this camera does quite well in action photography.
I completely agree with Otola here; don’t always believe what you hear or read, especially when it comes from unidentified sources on the internet. Also remember that numbers and scores do not always give you the right idea. Personal experience from the ones who know is what counts! And yes Velvia 100F (as well as Provia 100F!) are made for this camera!

Regards, Vincent

Get the N1 and 24-85, you will not be sorry.

In truth the AF is slower than say the Canon and Nikon Pro level cameras like the F5. F-100, EOS 1V etc.. But the full time manual override and Zeiss glass image qualities makes up for it, and then some.

Raj - you mention that the viewfinder is darker. That might be due to a slower lens rather than a fault of the camera. The camera will show you the scene using the fastest/widest aperature it has on the lens before stopping down automatically to take your photo. So if you hang a 50/1.7 on the front, the image you see in the viewfinder will be brighter than if you put a 300/5.6 by a very big amount. When you compared the two cameras for brightness of viewfinder, what were the lenses fastest aperatures? I'm glad you enjoy the camera and that it is working so well for you. I have considered that camera many times, but do not own it. -Lynn

Why not consider prime lenses, like the 50mm or the 100mm. You are better off with these primes as far as distortion, sharpness and resolution is concerned. Good luck.
Elie

Hello,
I am a serious amature using the c645. I am considering getting the N1 for constant carry around. With the Nam1 adapter do the 645 lenses work well with the N1? How do the focal lengths change, if at all? Will this make sense rather than springing for the 24-85? I hate to stop using the lenses I've come to love.

Arlen

Arlen,

Your C645 80mm standard lens mounted on the N1 will have 80mm focal length, which is perfect for portaiture and table top.

The 24-85 zoom is my most used lens for my N system. It is a very good and convenience lens to carry around.

Al.

Al,
Thanks for the focal length info. I figured this would be true. My most used lens for the c645 is the 120mm, it is incredible. I have the 45-90 but keep the 120 attached.
Do you have experience in the quality, using the 645 lenses, compared to using a lens designed for the camera?

Arlen

Back