DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Looking for some advice on Contax AX

Henry,
you wrote : unfortuneatly no mirror lock-up. Unfortunatelly? Maybe the function is not reqiured, more pro- models ( I believe AX is a pro)go so softly and decently, it is just not necessary. I would like to hear how quiet is AXs shutter (especially rx or rts3 vs. ax!), perphaps Bob could help, he has opportunity to compare with other models...
I am little worrying about mechanical durability and long life dependability of the camera(if it is worth to buy second-hand..?,... in fact, if AX was discontinued, you have no other choice..)
regards Pavel

Pavel

No worries about reliability or durability ... I've never had a problem and never regretted buying an AX. I've owned all normal models of Contaxes since the RTS with the exception of the S2b and the Aria (have played with an Aria). I have kept the AX and 137MA (my other half's choice) and have a RTS II waiting in the wings for when I get it repaired. All the others got sold/exchanged!

You are in luck, only today was I comparing the noise of the RX with my AX. I had a visit from another contaxinfonian who brought his RX with him. I have to admit that the RX is one heck of a quiet camera! My AX is a little louder and has a sort of (now don't laugh!) "echo-ey" sound to it, by comparison
happy.gif
. From memory of my ST and RTS III's sounds, I'd say the AX was similar in volume.

I can say that I have never suspected any problems with mirror clatter, even though I have put some daft combinations of lenses on the AX, e.g. 300/2.8 Tamron + 2x macroconverter and shot at silly shutter speeds with only a monopod!

I'd buy another (second-hand) from any reputable dealer, if I needed a second one - no hesitation.

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.
p.s loved the 28/f2 that Nickser brought round too!

Hi Pavel,

Bob is off line at the moment due to an ISP problem. I have just come back from having a good chat with him. We did in fact compare his AX against my RX for the shutter/mirror/motor noise and we agreed that the RX is quieter. This may be due to the fact that the AX is a 'camera within a camera' so there is a chamber for the noise to reverberate within.
On another note I was wondering how fast and accurate the AF was. I can tell you that it is a lot faster than manual focussing. Even indoors in his living room with average lighting, it locked on. I will have to save up now and get one!! The only reliablilty problem Bob said that he had was he thought the metering was slightly out. He returned it to Contax and had it sorted out in no time at all.

Paul

Didn't count adjusting the meter as a problem, as I asked for the meter to be brought in line (1/3rd to 1/2 stop) with the older models I owned at the time, for the sake of consistency. Which they did promptly FOC even though they thought I was daft to ask!

Paul was quite impressed with the autofocus of the AX .... as you can see!

Cheers Kyocera Kid

p.s. Paul ... the "ISP" problem was me partially knocking the USB lead out from the modem
sad.gif
Doh!

The AX is a truly awesome camera. The only downside I have with it is the "bulk"...but...it isn't that hard to get used to...but it does take a bit of adjusting. It isn't heavier than the RTS-III, so it's just a matter of pure bulk.

It is a full featured camera, with an available datA back (meaning not just datE), plus the metering is superb, as is the viewfinder. The autofocus works very well, it's just not as fast as something like a Canon EOS is. The 10mm built-in extension is (if you use it) really a great feature.

I can't say enough good things about the AX. I have not had any reliability or any problems for that matter with mine. I just don't use it as much, as I find the bulk hinders my ability to tend to my kids while with them. I find the Aria/G cameras much easier to use when I have the kids with me.

Regards,

Austin

Hello Dear Friends,

What is wrong with my AX? When I use it AE mode, it does not read aperture in right way.
When I install 4 at the lens, viewfinder shows 5.6. Everytime one stop more, than I install at the lens...

Thank you for your reply.

Does it do this with every lens? If it does, the problem is probably with the camera. If it occurs with just one lens, but not others, the problem may be with the lens.

Out of interest .... I take it you have the exposure mode set to AV? And that you are not on AE Lock
happy.gif
(of course not!)

What are the Exposure Compensation and Auto Bracketing dials reading?

And finally, what is the aperture reading in the viewfinder when no lens is mounted?

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

Hello,

The body shows incorrect aperture with all lenses.
When lens is not mounted - aperture reading in viewfinder is 2.4 or 2.0 (not stable).

I'm in AV mode - I'm not in AE and do not switch any Compensation mode...

Andrey.

Back