DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Marc,

You may want to look into setting up your PC / Mac (I forget which you use - I use Win XP myself) with a dual-head monitor configuration. Both monitors act as one big desktop area. For photo workflow I open my thumbnail manager program on the right and Photoshop on the left. I just drag and drop the thumbnails into the Photoshop screen as needed. You wouldn't believe how this setup improves your working efficiency.

85791.jpg

I use two NEC 22" monitors at 1792x1344 with a larger than normal font size, which is a huge desktop to work with.

One thing that was throwing me off is that I found I have to convert from Adobe RGB, which I use as my working space, to sRGB when saving my work back to disk, otherwise I don't get the same color outside Photoshop.

DJ

>Posted by DJ Garcia on Friday, April 11, 2003 - 1:13 am: > >Marc, > >You may want to look into setting up your PC / Mac (I forget which you >use - I use Win XP myself) with a dual-head monitor configuration. >Both monitors act as one big desktop area. For photo workflow I open >my thumbnail manager program on the right and Photoshop on the left. I >just drag and drop the thumbnails into the Photoshop screen as needed. >You wouldn't believe how this setup improves your working efficiency. <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• > >I use two NEC 22" monitors at 1792x1344 with a larger than normal font >size, which is a huge desktop to work with. > >One thing that was throwing me off is that I found I have to convert >from Adobe RGB, which I use as my working space, to sRGB when saving >my work back to disk, otherwise I don't get the same color outside >Photoshop. > >DJ

Hi,

Is sRGB now a standard? If so, what software and hardware uses it?

I have been looking at some Google listings and got the idea that there were two enhanced RGB specifications under consideration but didn't find any indication that either of them had been adapted. The listings I found were old, however.

If I understand it correctly sRGB is an enhancement to 24 bit RGB.

Thanks,

DAW

>As I understand it, sRGB is something to avoid. It has less of the overall color spectrum then other profiles. You should see what profile came with your monitor (ICC profile) and then set this up for your printer. You should get a much greater range of colors! If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me.

michael.

sRGB should only be used for images destined for the web. It is a smaller space then Adobe RGB and you will lose information if you convert to sRGB, so keep a master in Adobe RGB. For scans from transparencies Ekta Space PS5 was designed to match the color gamut of Ektachrome film. For digital that will be output to an Epson or Light Jet use Adobe RGB. For the web convert to sRGB before saving to jpg.

Hank,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea what kind of detail is lost between conversions?

DJ

What is lost is color information. If you have 10 shades of deep red in one color space and the smaller space has only 7 shades then the 10 shades must be remapped to fit in the smaller space preserving as much as possible the relationship between the steps in the range.
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
attachment_icon.gif

redscale.tif (51.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>
In the attached ex&le I converted the bottom half of a red scale to CMYK then back to RGB. Since none of the colors in the scale were reproducible in the target color space (CMYK) they were remapped and lost forever. Converting back to RGB can not recover the information once its lost.

Oops, sorry I attached the orginal by mistake.

85802.jpg

Note. This is an extreme ex&le. The differences between Adobe RGB and sRGB will be much smaller and may or may not be obvious depending on subject matter.

The Contax N Digital camera seems to be disappearing from dealers, both local and on-line. Besides it dropping out of the catalog at Calumet, B&H Photovideo and Ken Hansen, Amazaon.com now states that the camera is discontinued or unavailable. Cameraworld.com, which carried the camera at $6,999 now states it is on back order and has a 4 week delay in orders. Another dealer in New York City advertised having the camera in Shutterbug, but when I contacted them I was told that they were waiting for deliveries from the manufacturer. Dealers in Hong Kong still can get it, although there seem to be two to three "scams" on eBAY each day for new N Digital sales that are quickly cleared out by the eBAY Spam team.

In addition, it seems that Contax is discontinuing two other items. The RX2 was announced on Contax's Japan website several months ago. Perhaps as a result, the $999 RX camera is now being sold at demo price at $499 at B&H in New York City. The Mirotar 500mm lens, which was $1800 retail last week, just dropped to $599 at B&H. KEH.COM will buy a "like new" condition Mirotar 500mm F8 for $236.

The good new is that the manual focus Contax camera equipment, paticularly the RTS III, is continuing to hold its value. The manual focus Distagon 15mm F3.5 remains $6,000 at B&H.

I'm hoping that this means that an upgraded version of the N Digital may appear soon.

LG

Posted by Hank Graber on Saturday, April 12, 2003 - 10:04 pm:

What is lost is color information. If you have 10 shades of deep red in one color space and the smaller space has only 7 shades then the 10 shades must be remapped to fit in the smaller space preserving as much as possible the relationship between the steps in the range.

51.4 K redscale.tif

In the attached ex&le I converted the bottom half of a red scale to CMYK then back to RGB. Since none of the colors in the scale were reproducible in the target color space (CMYK) they were remapped and lost forever. Converting back to RGB can not recover the information once its lost.

Maybe you can send the original to me directly because I have a lot of interest in what sRGB really is.

I had thought it was an enhanced RGB, with 16 bit color depth, but had not been accepted. In fact if you track it with Google you can find that it was originally proposed by HP and another company, (forgot the name for the moment) and then another version was put forward. I didn't know that any version of enhanced RGB (more than 24 bits) was in use.

Thanks,

Don Williams dwilli10@san.rr.com

A source from Calumet in New York told me that their stock of N digital cameras was sent back to Contax. First Contax offers a 10% rebate and then recalls the remaining stock.... Interesting.

Back