DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

Gavin, The CMOS technology you are refering to is the old take on it. Neither Canon nor Kodak stood still on this issue. Nor does it make sense to me that they would they risk a misstep that would crush their future in digital imaging. The Kodak full frame 6 meg cameras of the past used CCD. So, if larger CCDs met the need better, why wouldn't they use them? And if they wanted them, it seems any company would rather supply them rather than Contax. Finally, least we forget, the big Kodak MF 16meg backs are CCDs. They have access to, and knowledge of, the technology.

That all aside, concerning a full frame, 11 meg CCD from Contax, all I can say is...from your lips to Gods' ears.

And may they solve all the other problems also. Or well be down to a buffer of one shot and have to strap a car battery to our back to power it.

CCD or CMOS - I could not care less. All I need to know is which camera gives me what I want. I shot about a hundred frames with Canon 10d with L senses, and even if somebody else took it, I could tell immediately that they were not from Contax.

> Apple ipod has worked very well for my RAW images....should do the > same for yours as well as some good music for your trip!!! Bert

Bert
I've been trying to figure this one out for months. How do you transfer in-camera raw files or jpeg files, for that matter onto an ipod in the field? Got the good music in the field but would dearly love to use the other 8gigs of free space for my digital images.

Terry,
I'm bad, I thought he had a laptop! Total misread on my part! The only way is by laptop! The Sima Image Bank does very well without laptop and it is a 10 gig unit
Bert

Andy,
I'm quite happy with my ImageTank G1 (www.imagetank.at) although it's USB 1.1 is a yawner. The newer G2 has USB 2.0 which should be much better.
Aside from that the device comes with a 10, 20, or 30 GB 2.5" Hard Drive that can be exchanged for any other size you might need - it's a standard laptop HDD.
Battery consumption is so so but they have a 12V DC car plug with an AC adapter for 100-240V (the plug may vary from UK to US to EU).
All in all quite nicely if you have 2x1GB cards you're always on and can make a whole ton of pictures, even in 17MB TIFF.
It has no display and also no real extensive file info displayed on the device but it's pretty straightforward and workable at a reasonable price.
Oh, and the Imagetank takes CF and SmartMedia at any size...

Hope this helps,
Christian

Hi guys.
An English version of my web site is up, and you can find there more than a hundred pictures taken with Contax ND. I just do not have time to post everything in this gallery. Please visit www.shanidze.com/en
Irakly

"An English version of my web site is up, and you can find there more than a hundred pictures taken with Contax ND. I just do not have time to post everything in this gallery. Please visit www.shanidze.com/en Irakly"

Wow... How large (in print) have you been able to blow up these pix, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20 before they are less acceptable? They look great on the screen, but what about on a wall? I am tormented by wanting to buy a digicam but keep thinking I am selling out.<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• http://www.pinnaclesys.com

Dana,

For shows I print 12x18", and the only reason that I do not go larger than that is my Epson 2200 which is capable of 13x19" on sheet paper.

Sigh... Digital appeals to me because I am a control freak and hate going to other people's darkrooms...

But Film is a good format. Known.

Dana Curtis Kincaid Pinnacle Systems Technical Support Indy

Back