DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New M9040 Macro Lens

old_admin_CI

Hi folks,

trhere will be obviously a new Macro lens for the M-System. A 90/4.0 Macro

Here is an image which we got from the Leica site:

50933.jpg

(You can see it not in your text-only e-mail, only live in the forum by clicking on the link at the buttom of the e-mail)

> What a silly waste of Leica's precious R&D funds. The few people ambitious > enough to use an M for macro probably already own a Visoflex, or could get > one for around $100 and mount any 90mm lens to it. This new lens is @ $1200 > *plus* $750 for the macro attachment and it only goes to 50cm which is 1:3 and > therefore not macro at all.

> While I don't consider it a true macro, I like this lens very much! I'd love to be able to focus to 0.5 meters with a 90 on my rangefinder, and the 1:3 repro is just fantastic. I also love the small size of this lens, but losing a stop (I have a 90 2.8 now) would be a slight drawback. I think I'd prefer the close focus ability to the stop though, so I really look forward to trying this lens.

- marc

Jay,

There is a market for a 90/4 the size of a 50/2, that you can put in =20 any pocket.

There is a market for a 90 which offer the greatest magnification ever =20=

offered by a Leica M lens.

There is a market for a 90 cheaper (without the adapter) than the =20 90/2,8 and the 90/2, with the same quality.

There is a market for the perfect lens for traveling light, a companion =20=

for the Tri-Elmar or for the 35/2.

The Visoflex is as heavy and cumbersome as the new lens is light and =20 compact.

Lucien

Dear Lucien,

The best summary of the 1:4/90 Macro(sic)-Elmar-M I have read so far.

Regards,

Justin

LvD, great, finally somebody who see some positive aspects. I think this lens will find its market - hopefully many M users who actually use their camera and not only keep it in their original box (mint
happy.gif
). I see many uses, especially for hiking and travelling, when every gram counts.
Cheers,
Mimi

>> LvD, great, finally somebody who see some positive aspects. I think > this lens will find its market - hopefully many M users who actually > use their camera and not only keep it in their original box (mint ). I > see many uses, especially for hiking and travelling, when every gram > counts. > Cheers, > Mimi

I am thinking of changing my 90c 4 to this new "macro" 90 - but how do I avoid faults focusing close ?

Regards

Ruben -

Well, regardless of the lenses used....The announcement today from Kodak that they are slashing their dividend to pay for a corporate emphasis on digital photography makes one begin to reflect on what the future holds for Leica. Yes I know there will always be film, and Leica photographers to use such film. Nevertheless, the problems associated with digital will be solved ( storage, cost, etc. ). Kodak needs to be where the "action is".

Elliot

Ellie, what does this comment have to do with the new lens? Puzzled
uhoh.gif
Are you working for Kodak??

Back