DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

My Sigma Flash 500 DG ST doesn't like my EOS 7D

I've got this flash for about 3 years now, it works just fine, is simple and robust, and does the job more than well, with E-TTL II standard and focal length recognition on my EOS 350D.

Lately, I bought the Canon EOS 7D, and my good old flash acts weirdly.
Within the camera menu, the EOS 7D says the flash is not 'compatible'.

The flash works, it fires, actually too much: it burns all my pictures.
The only way I have found so far to get something less worse, is to set the switch to 'ML' (kind of low fire power).
Seems that the E-TTL is not working.

Do I have to give up and assume that my flash is not compatible? OR is there something I might do wrong?

Thanks for your help
Cheers

Vinzsigma13....Canon is notorious about switching things up so that aftermarket equipment does not work right...one of the reasons I have stayed away from that brand...not that it's a bad thing...I just like using older equipment plus the cost factor...sorry for rambling...

1st I would contact your loca Sigma repair shop and see if they have any updates for the firm-ware in the flash...if they do you might be able to ship it to them...to get it to work...but once they do that it will not work with your 350D....

2nd if there is no firm-ware...you may have to shoot in manual mode - which for that flash is actually not good....you can shoot full power just bounce the light from the flash off the ceiling or off the walls...when you use it...and get yourself a defuser...garyfong, eBay cheapy, ring flash, so on....to help you work with it....

3rd...probably the best thing to do...keep that flash with the 350D and get-yourself a new one....

Hope this helps out a little...

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Sounds bad, that's what I was fearing...
What nice (and affordable) Sigma Flash would you recommend for the 7D?

cheers

You can pick-up a Sigma DG EF 610 Super....it is 100USD more and well worth it...you can still put an optical trigger on the other flash and use it as a slave on full power...

If you are looking for a cheapy....Bower makes one for about 130USD....

Good Luck..

Thanks again for your reply.
I'll have a look at the DG EF 610 Super.
I was thinking about reselling my 500 DG ST, butthe idea of using it as slave is not bad at all ;)
Cheers

Attachments

• Optical Slave-1.jpg
    EXIF
    Optical Slave-1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Optical Slave-2.jpg
    EXIF
    Optical Slave-2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 8
Back