DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Canon FD mount....??

The only thing I can see you doing.....right now...without a spacific mount like the one Luis does.....

Canon FD Lens to M42 then M42 to SA

But I can not find an Canon FD to M42 adapter....also I don't know if it will actually work at infinity...

Tony C.

Thanks Tony,

I check again the page and read better, slow english reading...hehehe

Yes, the FD is older than Canon EF, and still very good manual lenses, like this good web site have described:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/fdlenses/index.htm

An adapter from FD to M42 I know exist, but there is a problem first ...the registration distance from the SD14 sensor is already closer even without any adapter between lens and camera, and even if I lay an FD lens on the SD14 mount, is incorrect ....I need to go inside of 2mm ....huuhhhh

Infinite will never be possible if I not respect the registration distance, and if I will use thick adapters, the only possibility is by having a lens in the adapter that corrects all ....an example is the adapter for mounting FD lenses on EF (EOS) cameras:
http://cgi.ebay.it/Converter-Adapte...ries?hash=item53dc38c226&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

don't think it's so good, a friend have it on his EOS 5D, and lens seems loosing sharpnes and Fstop, bad for very bright good lenses like 85mm f1.2.

Well then what I would do is get an old Canon FD body.....and see is you can backward engineer the mount to fit the Sigma SD14 mounting space and hole alignment....

I know you said you have someone that has laser tools to do this...I would approach him/her to see if they could do this for you....I bet you might have a little nitch market there...!!! :z04_yes:

Tony C.

Good idea Tony, if you like find a Canon FD camera mount for good price, you can find it on adapters, like tele-converters etc...

Sorry my english, I don't understand as well the last phrase:
".....I would approach him/her to see if they could do this for you....I bet you might have a little nitch market there...!!!"

Major problems: all FD lenses going inside the camera mount of 3mm, than have 2 dents, of 2,5mm more (total of 2 + 3 + 2.5 = 7.5mm inside from the sigma mount), then the diaphragm lever have to be definetely detached or in bad ways, cutted ....the infrared glass is in risk position :(

Sunday I will do more checks and misurations, no too much time ....to many projects.

No good chance now to construct an FD mount on the camera :( :( :(
maybe bset chance ...make a Sigma Mount for each FD lenses
Work in progress :)

...next, I will have in hand a Minolta MC/MD lens, and try there too.

For Nikon, I saw does not exist a Nikon to Canon adapter where you can use full electronic control, like full AF ...while a Canon to Sigma adapter works good (seems same electronic), so it will be such difficult to try ...will need a power conversion for motors, sensors etc and a good engineer.

Converting FL/FD mount lenses to SA mount...

Swapping an FL/FD mounting plate over to an SA mounting plate is easy to do but to achieve infinity focus on an SA mount camera you HAVE to machine 2mm off the lenses mounting boss (the bit the mounting plate screws onto) with a lathe.
This is because the SA mount has a registration distance of 44mm but the registration distance of the FL/FD mount is only 42mm.
A couple of years ago I converted a Canon FL 55mm f1.2 to SA mount with full infinity focus. Its a wonderfull lens and still one of my favorites because of its fantastic bokeh.
You can find a short video I made showing the lens being mounted on my SD14 on youtube.

The registration distance on Minolta/Sony AF mounts is 44.5..and for Minolta MC/MD lenses this is 43.5.....

Hope this helps you out Bustoner...

Tony C.

Swapping an FL/FD mounting plate over to an SA mounting plate is easy to do but to achieve infinity focus on an SA mount camera you HAVE to machine 2mm off the lenses mounting boss (the bit the mounting plate screws onto) with a lathe.
This is because the SA mount has a registration distance of 44mm but the registration distance of the FL/FD mount is only 42mm.
A couple of years ago I converted a Canon FL 55mm f1.2 to SA mount with full infinity focus. Its a wonderfull lens and still one of my favorites because of its fantastic bokeh.
You can find a short video I made showing the lens being mounted on my SD14 on youtube.

Thanks, DSG,
I saw yes the registrations, unfortunately the only way will be convert all FD lenses to SA.
Please, I can't find the youtube video....

Tony, I don't have possibility to find my friend with MC/MD lenses (waiting his reply), so I need to find one, will check soon on ebay ....I let you know

Back