DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

New Forum Member

iMac

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I have just joined this Forum a few short minutes ago.

I bought my Sigma SD14 two months ago along with AF 18-50 mm f/2.8 DC Macro and AF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens.

Recently I returned my new SD14 to Sigma UK Service Department to have the as 'delivered' faults rectified.

The camera arrived with dust and debris on the viewfinder focussing screen and the electronic beep and key tones not working.

Sigma Service contacted me to say that they found no problem with the electronic beep and that the key tone was working perfectly. It appears that this may be an intermittent fault or, I may have a hearing problem!

I have no problem hearing the electronic beep on my wife's Leica Bridge camera even when set at the lowest setting. I demonstrated this Leica 'beep' sound over the telephone to Sigma Service Department when I returned their telephone call.

As I could not bear being without my favourite possession whilst it was in for service, I ordered a spare SD14 Body and now impatiently await it's arrival.

It will be interesting to find out if my SD14 has an intermittent fault or if I do indeed have a hearing problem!

My best regards to one and all.

iMac

Welcome to the forum.

I was wondering, can your wife hear the SD14's beep ?

I know my hearing drops off above 15 KHz, but I have no trouble hearing my SD14. I never bothered measuring what frequency the SD14 uses.

Possible Hearing Loss

Hi Steaphany,

Nice of you to reply and thanks for the welcome.

My first task as soon as my new spare SD14 Body arrives will be to have my wife listen to the SD14's 'beep' sound. I'm very interested in finding out if I do in fact have a hearing issue.

In any event, I intend to have my hearing checked just as soon as my camera body is delivered. At present, I'm housebound waiting for the SD14's Body arrival!

Normally, I routinely turn off all appliance electronic beep's as I can't stand them, but with the SD14 I really need to hear the focus beep when using a tripod (frequently, my favourite tool) and the remote control.

Regards,

iMac

iMac...I look forward to your work....welcome...

I can't hear the beep on my SD14 bodies half the time.....

Tony C.

SD14 Beep Issue

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your welcome, I'm pleased to have joined this Forum where I have already absorbed some good hints and tips.
In particular, Klaus-R's post regarding the use of Raw Photo Studio Software. Is this the same as ArcSoft PhototStudio Darkroom version 2?

I'm still on a steep SD14 learning curve and at the present time I'm still experimenting and learning about the SD14's and my New Lens capabilities, I'm not looking for 'keepers', hence no images for general viewing yet.

One major problem I have overcome is cleaning the SD14's Sensor, my camera arrived with dust and debris on the Sensor. This debris was clearly visible on f/4.5 foreground shots! The Sky shots were peppered with dust and debris, it really was awful. I should have rejected and returned the Camera straight away. I now take a Sky shot at the end of every photo session to keep a check on the sensor.

I have since developed a successful regime for cleaning the Sensor using the Artic Butterfly brush along with Pec Pads and Eclipse 2 Sensor Cleaning Fluid. The sensor cleaning is carried out in a home made glass fronted 'clean room' air pressure controlled box that I designed and built, thus avoiding the normal household dust

I contribute my 100% Sensor cleaning success to the way that I use the Artic Butterfly brush, (or the Pec Pac Cleaning Wand)
Instead of dragging the brush across the sensor, I push the brush, this avoids picking up shutter mechanism lubricant etc from the sides of the Sensor chamber. I found it very difficult to avoid the brush bristles from touching the sensor chamber sides when sweeping the sensor until I changed the sweeping action.

I found that the Artic Butterfly recommended method of using the brush picked up shutter lubricant that smeared the sensor, changing the 'sweeping' action overcame this problem.

My SD14 is still with Sigma UK Service Department and my spare SD14 has not arrived yet, I'm quite a lost soul without my prized SD14 and cannot wait to resume learning about the SD14 and my new lenses.

Whilst my SD14 is being repaired I have spent my time designing and making a Camera Shoulder Bag that will carry both SD14 bodies, my two Lenses along with my Giottos MT 9340B tripod fitted with a Novoflex Magic Ball head.
The Giottos tripod is lightweight, used with care. it's able to adequately support the SD14, not as well as my Manfrotto 055XPROB, but an acceptable compromise solution, much better than a Monopod!

In any event, a camera without a tripod, especially the SD14, severely cripples the available apertures & speeds, might as well cut the camera in half!

Have fun out there,

Regards,

iMac

Hello, iMac!

Firstly, great to have you aboard this forum. By the sounds of things you have already settled in quite well.

Sorry to hear about your early teething problems with your first SD14. I'll bet you're looking forward to a better first up result from your second body. As for your developed methodologies to deal with a "digital" workflow, very well done!

I too look forward to eventually seeing your results using the new equipment.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Please visit my humble gallery @ www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Hello, iMac!

Firstly, great to have you aboard this forum. By the sounds of things you have already settled in quite well.

Sorry to hear about your early teething problems with your first SD14. I'll bet you're looking forward to a better first up result from your second body. As for your developed methodologies to deal with a "digital" workflow, very well done!

I too look forward to eventually seeing your results using the new equipment.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

Please visit my humble gallery @ www.pbase.com/jrdigitalart

Hi Jim,

Thank you kindly for your nice welcome, I already have a good feeling about this Forum and I'm sure I will soon settle in.

I sold my extensive Canon DSLR equipment after becoming disillusioned with a Fungus attack on all my L lenses and fed up with sensor cleaning.
I realised I had become a collector, rather than a photographer as I had acquired just about every Canon accessory that was made.

Still interested in photography, I bought a Leica V-LUX 1 (now the property of my wife) vowing that I never again would buy a dslr.

I then came across some Sigma SD14 images that blew me away, I was smitten! My first 35mm film cameras were the Russian Leica clones imported just after WW2, since then I've had quite a variety including home built Plate Cameras and Enlargers.

Never have I experienced such delight in owning such a Camera as the Sigma SD14, for me it's perfection. I cannot fault it.

I have fallen hook line and sinker for the SD14, can't help being in love hence the second SD14 Body!

Regards,

iMac

Raw PhotoStudio

Hi Tony,

I have re-read Klaus-R's posts about Raw Photo Studio v ArcSoft PhotoStudio Darkroom, apparently they are not identical.

I'm still excited about the impending arrival of my new SD14 body, my head is not in gear at present!

Regards,

iMac

Back