DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

5D and 135L

bobbytan

This 5D/135L combo does not cost an arm and a leg but I think it will match the sharpness and resolution of a Zeiss or Leica lens or even the esoteric 200/1.8 on a 1Ds2. I think my 50/2.5 macro lens would perform just as well on a 5D. Shot at ISO 200 at f2.8 and 1/320 sec. Pretty impressive don't you think?

Original Image:
41489.jpg

200% crops:
41490.jpg

41491.jpg

I think your arm and leg are worth a lot more then mine. The 5D ($3000.00) and 135 f2.L ($850.00+) Plus the goodies need to make it work. Looks like a sizable chunk of money to me.

It's all relative isn't it? The point I am making is that for a $4,000 combo (approx) you can get the kind of results you would expect from a 1Ds2 and "high end" lens costing twice the price.

Other than in wide angles, I think Canon lenses tend to be as sharp, and in some cases maybe sharper, than their Zeiss equivalents. However, I get Zeiss lenses that are not wide angle not necessarilly for the sharpness (not that I'm ignoring it) but for the color saturation, contrast and flare resistance. I'm even happy to give up some corner sharpness for that T* pop and clarity.

Bobby, you're darned right. Lenses and cameras can definitely get into the diminishing return category, especially if you're not that concerned about some aspects that may not apply to your particular situation.

I totally agree with you that Canon wides are way behind Zeiss, Leica, and even Nikon in terms of IQ. I can't afford the Distagon 21 but I do have the 28/2.8 and that's a kick-ass lens in terms of resolution, color/contrast and flare control.

Back