DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Nikon at all

It really is a matter of taking the time to know what you are buying. Doing you homework before passing the plastic will save you a bunch of disappointment. Clearly define what your goals are, and what it will take to reach them. Draw up a list of specifications that must be met in the equipment you will purchase. Check on the reputation - not of the maker - but on the individual camera. A good relationship with a camera store and trusted salesperson and a camera repairman is beyond value.

At a specific price point, a simple mechanical camera is likely to be more robust than one that is totally buzzword enabled, with loads of features. However, it is also unforgiving and will only give you what you are capable of getting out of it. The shutter on the feature laden camera may wear out in 20% of the time of that in the mechanical camera, but if you are inept, you may find yourself with a whole lot more keeper pictures during that time. However, what is the point of buying a robust camera, if you shoot half a dozen rolls a year at the most?

Realize as well, that every camera maker caters to a very broad market. Nikon is keeping two of its film bodies in the channel. They could not be more different. The F6 probably represents the highest state that a professional-level film SLR will ever attain. The FM10 is built by Cosina for Nikon, and is a cheap, entry-level camera that was also the Cosina CT-1 of a quarter century back, Canon T60, Olympus2000 and parts are also in the RicohKR-5 and it even served as the base for a couple of rangefinder cameras. A generic camera that for this time being is carrying the Nikon brand and lens mount.

Now with the Internet, there is simply no excuse for buying the wrong camera. The web has many web-sites with reviews, the forums give hands on anecdotal information. If you know what you want, you can find a camera that will match your needs.

Of the dozens of cameras owned or used, all acquisitions were carefully researched and matched to the problems that needed to be solved. Never was there a disappointment - even when there was no Internet. It took more leg-work, but it always paid off. There has been camera equipment purchased from Nikon, but probably a dozen other brands too. Each fully met its intended purpose.

larry! http://www.larry-bolch.com/ ICQ 76620504

> Don,

My D200 came in last week. Nice, nice, nice. One or two quirks, but it might be me learning the camera. Image softness might be a problem, but then again I might be the problem.

I choose Nikon mainly for the metering. They have a great reputation and I was really concerned after the ND about overexposure w/ the flash.

One lense I bought was the 17-55 lens. Which is nice,but I already found a problem where if you are using the on board flash at the wide end of the lens, there is a shadow in the bottom part of the image.

Darn.

I also bought the SB-800 flash, but have not used it yet.

Will keep me posted. Please keep me abreast of your experiences w/ the D200.

Thanks,

Michael.

Here I am, new.

I have recently bought my first Nikon, an FM2n. OK, why then?

Simple: I had no choice.

When I was 13, I had a Zenit 12 XP. When I decided I wanted to upgrade, I was undecided between a Contax 139Q and a Nikon F301: I eventually decided for the Contax.

Recently, as you may know, Contax died: Kyocera doesn't produce them anymore. I found very frustrating to own a dead camera. When I needed to repair my beautiful Carl Zeiss Planar, I found out that I'd better not.

So, I had to upgrade again. I don't like autofocus, and I wanted to be able to use a couple of Tamron Adaptall lenses I had, AND I didn't want a dead camera again. Now, how many brands still produce new manual focus cameras? If I am not wrong, only Nikon and Leica. Well, apart from the fact that I wouldn't be so sure I'd find an Adaptall ring for Leica... I'm not rich! So, Nikon was the only choice, wasn't it?

Hi Marco,
You'll be able to use Carl Zeiss lenses on it too now that they are producing them in F mount. And it seems that the lenses will be cheaper than they were when they were Contax.
Great!
John

Quess I'm an real oldie. Being so lucky to inherit a real 1938 Rolleiflex from my granddad, when I was only 11 years old, I was spoiled by getting used to perfect quality images on a very young age already. During my college study got known to the Nikkormat in a factory laboratory and was surprised by the easy handling and superb quality of pictures. Bought myself a Nikkormat FTN in 1975 and later on some lenses, that I still use on my heavily used F4, which stems from 1996. That is one of the good reasons that I stick to Nikon. Using an array of lenses now from 20 mm to 180 mm and won't change it for the world. Best proof of this came already from a long time ago comment from some experienced guy, who asked me how I got those razor sharp pictures with all the contrast and detail you can wish. And I'm not a pro.
Three reasons to go for Nikon : standardization of lens mounts, very good quality and a reliability, that's unsurpassed. If they would have entered the MF market, they might have been a very serious competitor for Hasselblad, but that's only a theory !!!
By the way, I'm not working for Nikon or related in anyway to them. Might have done so, if it would have yielded me some free equipment.

I have a friend that is having a problem with the auto focus on her new D200 - She seems to think it may be the diopter setting - with auto focus is this a problem? I shoot the D1X and D2X and I checked my setting and found that after a couple of clicks on the setting my view cleared up as well... Anyone have any ideas or experience in this situation? Keith

[I can't think of any way the diopter would have any effect except on manual focusing because it you changes your view. The diopter doesn't have any effect on the auto focus system. Tom]

Hi
As a Complete beginner to Photography, I know nothing of how the Digital Camera works at Present other than what i have read. After looking at different Cameras from Expert advice on the Websites and then i decided on the Nikon D80. In the Shop i handled the Canon 400D One from Panasonic, and the Nikon. So i liked the read ups of the Nikon and how it felt in my hands that is why i chose it. My other Hobby is Racing Pigeons Long Distance and with those Fanciers can have very similar Bloodlines or Quality But in that Sport it is the Man behind the Pigeons which gets the most out from them Very much like The Photo Hobby the Man is behind the Camera . I hope i have made the right Choice and I will not pick up the Camera until next wednsday The Lens comes with the Camera a 18-135mm 1f-EI hope it will take a wide angle shots of the Pigeon Loft and Inside it, Plus Photos of my Dogs and i would like to take photos of Old Buildings and Churches. Any advice on what Good reasonable Priced Lens will do those things i would be pleased to here from you as up to this time i know very little indeed. I have sent away for a couple of Books on Digital Cameras
Thanks Steve

I think the D80 will be a good choice for you. I have the D200 and am pretty pleased.

I purchased the Nikon 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Vibration Reduction Nikkor Lens. Great lens, but expensive (about 1,700.) You might want to look at Sigma to save some money. They really do make alot of nice lenses. Also, fixed length is cheaper than a zoom. Even when I shoot at 400 mm, this is still not really adequate for wild birds, unless you are close. You are lucky shooting pigeons, since they are not so wild. You could probably get away w/ a 200 or 300 mm lens since the D80 has the 1.5 multiplier. A 200 mm lense gives you an effective 300mm focal length. I also bought the Sigma Macro 150 mm lens for about 600 bucks. This is a superb lens and would maybe do alright for you ... but I would still think you might want a longer focal length.

good luck,

michael.

Back