DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Why Nikon at all

Steve,

Also, your local pro camera store probably has a good selection of Nikon compatible lenses to rent. These are usually 25 to 50 bucks a day, and if you go in on a friday, alot of times you do not have to return til monday. This is a good way to "test" focal lengths for your unique subjects.

michael.

to answer the question why nikon system?

Im 56 years old had my first nikon in 1968 a plain f with a nikor 50 1.4 which i have with me yet today. then bought f2 in the early 70,s but when the 80,s came i used both system canon and nikon since canon came up with a good piece in the f1 and some fd L type primes but then canon was so stupid and left me in the cold when they shifted to ef lenses and the af system so i cursed CANON SELLING MY CANON GRARS FOR GARBAGE PRICE. and stayed with the nikon system till now, with a d200 for snaps and d2h for sports and several good lenses for nikon including the 70-200vr 2.8 etc. I have even a 1000 f11 and a 500 f8 and a 7.5 5.6 fisheye with a viewer all for fun shooting I love NIKON. but for serious shooting I use my hassy 503cw or when for rugged use the 500cm. with 4 good cf t* lenses.

nice to be home with nikon people.

My first Nikon unceremoniously came to my hands as payment for a loan. It was an F-801. Loved it's ease of use right from the start!

Hi,

i guess am the youngest kid in the block rubbing shoulders with veterans like you, why I chose my Nikon (D80), simple!!!!!!it beats canon (400D0 flat down in terms of sharpness, and colors.( I am into widlife pics and i didnt like my smoothness of canon...) I used to steal my dads Nikon and utilize my hard earned pocket money to buy films, and roam around the time........from that day Nikon has left a mark in my mind.....and trust me i feel damn good when i bought my first DSLR day before yesterday.

Happy Clickin!!!!

NB: This is a purely personal opinion, no technology involved and not meant to offend ne1

I got interested in photography in the early 60's and my first experience with a real camera was a 4x5 Speed Graphic shooting for the college newspaper. My first SLR was an Exacta. Years later I started using a Canon Pellix and eventually owned several Canon bodies and quite a few lenses. I was away from photography for a while, then got into it and discovered that Canon had obsoleted everything I owned. I was so angry at their flagrant disregard for the millions of dollars people like me had invested that I sold every last peice of Canon gear I had and bought the N90s, 35-70 f/2.8ED AF zoom and 70-300 f/4-5.6D AF zoom. My wife already had a Nikon FA and a couple of lenses so we were well equipped. I just recently bought the D40 and in a couple of days will be proud owner of the 18-200mm AF-S VR lens. The D40 is so easy and fun to use, I feel I've just discovered photography for the first time. The N90s is a great film camera, but the D40 is so much lighter, I hardly go anywhere without it, which is the key to getting great photos.

When I was shooting and teaching professionally, I knew a lot of people who had Nikon gear and we always kidded each other about whose equipment was better and would last longer. In hindsight, I should have jumped on the Nikon train then, but I'm certainly glad to be aboard now.

Yup, Nikon has managed to make a number of improvements in the F-Mount while providing backward compatibility.

Nikon dSLRs from the D200 up will use most old lenses. The only lenses - > with a few exceptions - that do not work are the pre-AI lenses made from > 1959 through 1973, and they can be converted to AI lenses. I use both DX > zooms (12-24mm & 18-200mm) as walkin' 'round lenses, but also have the use > of my f-1.8 and f-2.0 lenses for available darkness shooting. They have > full metering capability on either manual or aperture priority, and there is > even an electronic rangefinder to assure one that the lens is in focus. > There is a menu item where you can tell the body what lens is mounted, and > its maximum aperture. The maximum aperture need only be set the first time > the lens is mounted - the camera remembers after that. A few specialized > lenses either don't work or lack some functionality. I have an early 28mm > PC-Nikkor which is not terribly functional, though later versions are. One > can download the manual from the Nikon site to check which ones are less > than fully functional. >

The D40-D80 will also use the older lenses but strictly in manual mode with no metering. A hand-held meter is necessary. The recently announced D300 takes an already very nice camera and refines it without losing anything. In fact it may actually be a superior camera to the D2X in every way but robustness, at a fraction of the price. With shutter life estimated at 150,000 exposures robustness is hardly a factor for practical enthusiasts. The camera will be dreadfully obsolete LONG before it is worn out other than in the hands of a working shooter.

When I decided to go to digital from film I was using a Nikon N60 (bought purely from Nikon's reputation)and went to a Nikon CP8800 which I really liked but soon found I wanted the flexibility of an SLR, there was no question that I wanted another Nikon and the D200 had just come out so I bought it and I am extremely happy with it. I find Nikon cameras are well made ergonomically as well as physically and the menus are easy to use.

Why Nikon

The day I wanted to buy a digital body the store had a nikon D2X and was out of Canons. Nikon was convenient.

Because Leica have announced that there won't be a full-frame R10 and have junked the R range in its entirety - My current system is a Leica R8 with a digital back. I won't be able to afford the new Leica S2 but want full-frame capability, and I believe the D700 is likely to be a better bet for the kind of work I do than the EOS 5D MkII - Nikon optics appear to be rated somewhat higher than those from Canon.

The D700 will be my first Nikon DSLR - although I've previously had Nikon-based Fuji S1 and S3 cameras, with Sigma lenses. The S1 suffered from severe exposure problems, but I took some good shots with it. The S3 was much better but was still only 6 megapixel and I already had the R8 with several lenses (including the outstanding 21-35 zoom) when the Leica R-Digital back came out - it's a pity that this was torpedoed by Hasselblad when they took over the Danish company that developed the electronics for Leica, so there was never any prospect of a MkII version.

I'll probably buy the 24-70 f2.8 G ED AF-S as my main lens for the D700, but will also need a wider lens for interior work. I'm not totally sold on autofocus for critical work indoors, so am considering buying a Voigtlander 20/3.5 Color Skopar SL II Aspherical in the Nikon AI-s Bayonet mount with CPU, for use in focus-confirmation mode.

John Dobson

...destiny: my grandfather used and sometimes still uses a Nikon FM and told me this was a good brand with solid equipment. Therefore my first SLR was a Nikon F50. When I switched to digital it had to be a Nikon (without having considered anything else)... Nikon D80.

Meanwhile a D90 is mine too and I wouldn't change the system. Besides being perfectly happy with the quality and the range of Nikon equipment the cameras in my budget class just feel much better, than any other brand (haptics).

Nikon it is, Nikon it will be.

Cheers
Mike

Back