DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

MP vs M6

that is what it was an early and brass with
reccessed veiw finder window brass top which was
showing wear in the black finnish, smooth internal
brass gears and though the vulcanite was different from my two year old m6 it was'nt anything to wald away from.
also a freind of mine let me use his early model
m4 chrome for months and the m4-2 was just as good.honestly i understnad the appreciation of things well made, but unless you have the money to collect leica gear and for that end only, the new mp the new 01 or what ever it is,is to me
for leica stock owners.by the way i have a Ltm
c111 great little old camera.

Ted,
I don't know about the 'feel' talk either. I have one M6 and I like it for several reasons: simplicity and mechanics are the biggest. Feel, I believe, is a mental knowledge you're holding the best camera in the world and that motivates you to capture great images. But people sometimes think about it too much and the conversation just becomes inane.
That's my two cents worth.

Peace.

> [ Bill Putnam said: I don't know about the 'feel' talk either. I have one > M6 and I like > it for several reasons: simplicity and mechanics are the biggest. > Feel, I believe, is a mental knowledge you're holding the best camera > in the world and that motivates you to capture great images. But > people sometimes think about it too much and the conversation just > becomes inane. That's my two cents worth.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Bill. Yeah I know some folks get the hots about the guts of a camera. When I began shooting, well playing with a camera May 27, 1950, I have always been totally concerned in what the camera puts on film to what I see, as fast as I see it. I'm now close to 50 years with a Leica nearby or in hand. I've had a professional photographer career, first news picture published Sept. 17, 1951 and at 75 and a bit, still going with my latest book, "Women in Medicine. A Celebration of their Work." just released. I've pretty well worked 3 M's or 3 R's or combinations of those all hanging off my body at the same time for ages while shooting.

And yes of course some times just 1 lens, the Noctilux on an M7. :)

So, my perspective on Leica camera gear is usually quite different than the weekend photo warriors. ;-) As long as mine keep clicking under every kind of condition is all I'm concerned with. And if they've got glass, aluminium, blue edged steel, copper or brass ass gears means nothing as long as the film is exposed as fast as I shoot.

This "techie stuff" has never been a big thing of mine at anytime and as I move into digital with the Leica Digilux 2 my same "philosophy" ;-) of "I haven't got time for numbers" has once again worked. It's "KISS! Keep it simple stupid" and so far, we, my associate and I, Sandy Carter have been producing some beautiful stuff both B&W and colour in digital while the camera is merely set on.."automatic everything!" ;-)

Photography has always been the fun of taking pictures and looking at the results of a successful shoot. And not one whit of interest in the guts of the camera. But then it's different strokes for different folks! :) ted ]

Hi, i totally agree with Ted Grant. It's important to know the strenghts and the weaknesses of your cameras and lenses. It's important to know how to use it well. But the important is the pictures. The best pictures of the 35 mm history taken by Henri Cartier Bresson, Eugene Smith, Robert Frank or Robert Doisneau, Bob Capa, Walter Evans, Dorothea Lange... have been taken with cameras and lenses far away from the quality of today's stuff. The important thing is the feeling, the emotion, not the weight of the brass and the use of one or two ashperical glasses. I understand that peoples like the technology, but it doesn't matter a lot for a real photographer.

Hi Ted, I agree with you. I don't care what the camera's made of (I own two Holgas and carry one of them occassaionaly on stories here in Baghdad) as long as the images come out.
I've been pushing my D2 to its limits, so to speak. I went out 2 am today, pushed the ASA to 400 and EV to +2. Even with almost no light (I can't use flash, soldiers will lose their night vision), I have a couple of images I like and will submit for publishing.
There was one plus to last night: I used my Summicron 50mm f/2 for the first time. I can't wait to get the negatives back!

Peace.

Back