DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Experience with the MP

C

constantin

Hello together,

this is my first message to the english forum. First of all I want to greet every enthusiast in this very interesting leica-forum.

Now some informations of me:
to take photo´s with my Leica´s R7 (black chrome) and MP (black laquer) is a special hobby for me. I like to go out and take pictures from the nature.

But now I´ve got a question to the owners of an MP-Modell:
which experience do you have with this model?
My personal experience is, that this is "the" M-Modell, I´ve ever dreamt of. I´ve got the MP for only 2 Months but at any time I use the camera and take pictures it is again very fascinating.

In relation to my R7 the built quality is another step upwards. It´s a very solid camera.

But these are my personal impressions,
which experience do you have?

I thank you for any answers to come:

Greetings from germany
Constantin

Constantin, I've had the MP .58 version for almost a year now. It's the best M I've ever owned when I factor in the .58 finder and light meter. I find the RF in the MP better than the one in my M4. But if I didn't want the .58 finder so much I would be very happy with an M6 that has had upgrade to avoid RF flaring. But the build quality of the MP's is a step up from the M6's. Enjoy your camera. That's what it's all about.

Cheers,
Jim

http://www.jimarnold.org/

welkommen Constantin!!

yes, while I don't have an MP at present, it is my dream camera! I presently shoot a black m6 which makes me very happy. I have this notion of buying a pair of black MPs, with serial numbers next to each other. Does anyone know, though, if the black laquer version is also available with the .58 viewfinder? I thought it wasn't, but both B&H as well as Calumet advertise it. Calumet even lists a number...

ciao,
garth

Hello Garth,

here in Germany only the .72 version in black laquer is available. But I´ve heard of the possibility, that you can also have the other versions .58 and .85 in black laquer finish.
Perhaps you´ve got to e-mail Leica for further information.

Good luck,
Constantin

I've seen the MP in black laquer and also black paint (for a lot more money) but only in 0.72.

I will be buying an MP, most likely this week. I believe I would be happy with either black or chrome. However, in the real world of photography, won't the black paint lose its luster over time? I DO think the black paint MP is gorgeous, but so was that blonde I once dated...

John Brewton asked in concern:
>> However, in the real world of photography, won't the black paint lose its luster over time? I DO think the black paint MP is gorgeous, but so was that blonde I once dated...<<<<<<

But John are you buying the camera as a trinket to hang around your neck and look pretty? Or do you intend on using it? If so, a smudge or bump here or there enhances the camera as it belongs to a using photographer. ;-)

Bumping or paint wearing off would be the least concern and I'd would want to know "will the camera work for my lifetime?"
ted

black paint thing's kinda weird. i had a photo teacher who once upon in the day had a black m2. the paint was 'brassing', so one day he got bored and scraped it all off. he said it became a scourge for his lurking street photography because folks thought he had a gold camera!

really, though, you know what's cooler than a brassed painted camera showing all that hard-earned wear is a newer black anodized camera that's lost it's much harder to wear off surface!

I think you should just go for it. those black paint cameras look beautiful.

just my dream filled opinion,
garth

Thanks, Garth. Ted, as for your comments as to whether I want a trinket or not. I'm too poor to spend that kind of money on trinkets! My M4 still looks great after thirty years. I would like my next M to acquire the same type patina.

well, the black paint may be a 'trinket' aspect, but it's still a great camera. i don't know, i'm pretty poor, but i'm fine driving a rusty car so i can have a fine m6 which will last a lot longer, and even costs less...

what's the phrase about 'quality is remembered long after price?'. i think if you're serious about photography and can swing it you should go for it. and it's one of the best built Ms yet...

good luck,
g.

Back