50mm f28 Collapsible Elmar

G

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I am intrigued by it since it reminds me of the old screw mount Elmars. I can buy one fairly cheap from a local gent but want to make sure it's worth owning.

G

Hi Charles, I have a 50mm 2.8 SM Collapsible Elmar. Am very happy with the excellent color saturation. Sharpness is equal to many 50mm's made in the '90'<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• know if you would "need " it to replace your present 50mm, though. Sincerely, T. Chin

G

Hi Charles,
If you are referring to the latest version of the 2.8 Elmar, I find it equal to the next to the last version of the Summicron from 5.6 on. It's small, handles well, is veru unintrusive in a crowd, and, if you want to pocket your "M", it's the only way to go. I don't recommend getting rid of your faster 50"s however.

G

The 2.8/50 Collapsible Elmar was the lens I purchased with my M-3 in 1966. I still have it. It is moving into the digital age through a Canon FS4000 scanner. I have scanned Adox KB-14 negatives developed in FR X-22 from 36 years ago and they make great inkjet prints on my Epson 870 and new 2200 printers.

Great little lens.

Jim
San Diego

G

Dear Jim,

They focus well; I find the viewfinder a bit small. If you buy an M6 or M7 I would go for an 0.85.

Yes and Yes. Erwin Puts: LEICA LENS COMPENDIUM, Hove Books 2001. See
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
also Erwin Puts site:

As much as I have recent Leica lenses and like them, my favourites are those of the 60s > 2000000 and early 70s.

Kind regards,

Justin

E

eloquentlight

I have used my 50 Elmar (latest version) exclusively for the past 5 months. I have gotten very good results from the lens. I think it's well worht the money, and is especially good if you can't afford, or don't need a Summicron.

B

billpalmer

The Elmar is an excellent travelling lens. It makes the M into a compact camera, and hence one which you are more likely to have with you when "that" shot presents itself.

Have a look at
for shots taken with this lens.

Regards,

Bill