5400 vs 5400 II

B

bubbah

I have a vast collection of Kodachrome 35mm slides mostly 64 which I would like to scan. I wonder if anyone cares to comment on the effectiveness of the 2 models for this purpose inasmuch as I am reading elsewhere that some find the first model superior for this particular emulsion given the difference in light source. Others disagree. TIA!!

B

bob01721

I have a 5400, but I've never compared it side-by-side with a 5400 II. The 5400 is everything I could hope for... and THEN some.

I can't imagine your being disappointed with either model.

B

bubbah

Thanks, Bob, for your Gentile response ;^) ...I make reference to the difficulties Nikon devices have with Kodachrome. It appears the KM 5400 series handle Kodachrome well. However, there are some postings elsewhere that allude to the change from fluorescent to LED light source as having an effect on the results. Anyone ??

B

bob01721

Bob,

Since -- as you mentioned -- there's disagreement over which is the better scanner for K-chromes, I suspect that's what you'll find here. Disagreement.

I'd imagine that a change from a fluorescent to an LED source would include software changes as well, so it's probably NOT as simple as a comparison of light sources.

The only way to get a valid comparison is a side-by-side test using the same settings with the same slide. Best of luck.

Larry

I have a 5400 II and it works great on b&w negatives. However, it is terrible on Kodachromes as well as other slides I have tried to scan. No matter what setting I use within the preferences it scans between 2-3 f-stops darker than the original slide. I have sent it back to KM for examination/recalibration, but it was simply returned to me in the same condition without comment. I am EXTREMELY disappointed!

Larry

B

bob01721

Larry,

Interesting. Aside from brightness, are there any other things it doesn't do well? Contrast? Color rendition? I assume the resolution is giving you all the detail you'd expect. Yes?

BTW, have you compared it against a "regular" 5400?

Larry

>The only issue I see is the exposure. Everything else is OK. The >terribly dark scans simply cannot be corrected in Photoshop without >great image degradation. And no, I've not had an opportunity to >compare this to the prior 5400 machine.