DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Noctilux 50mm

B

beowulf

Hi. can anyone tell me if the Noctilux will reduce or eliminate the need for fill-in flash in outdoor events during midday shots?i am referring to photos of people sitting in the shadows of shade trees during full sunshine.or is the need for a Metz inevitable?

Hi Everyone

Does anyone know if I can use standard 60mm B+W filters on the Noctilux? Is there something special about the thread or anything on Leica E60 filters?

I understand that use of filters is not reccomended on this lens - presumably due to vignetting - but I am unhappy about continuously using a lens with such an large and exposed front element without a UV filter.

Mike

Mike, I do not have a Noctilux and cannot speak from personal experience, however I gather that if a filter is to be used with this lens it should be the "thin" variety without a female thread at the front. Have fun. Justin

Thanks Justin. I see B+W list a thin 60mm UV, I will try that.
Mike

Thanks for your comment Joe. Do you mean dangerous to the image quality, or is there some risk of physical damage to the lens?

Mike

No, it is dangerous for the lens itself! Leica strictly reccomand do not use any kind of filter with this lens, bracause the front part may be scratched by the filter.
joe

Thanks again Joe. I had heard that Leica do not recommend filters with the Noctilux. I did not realise it was because of the risk of damage.

Mike

Back