DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CARD ERROR

• Thread starter Oklahoma_ridgerunner
  • Start date
To: Nicholas and Des Kinsman

I had very carefully cleaned the cards many times over the past two weeks to no avail.

After I got Nicholas' message I took one of the cards, not sure which one, it may have been the one I formatted and stuck it in the camera and pop it out several times and then all of a suddent the LCD came alive and all is well. At least for the time being.

Now I just have to figure out how to explain this to my wife since I just purchased a new camera.
rofl.gif

Thanks to both of you......

>Simply say nothing, have the defective camera serviced to avoid any future claim of 'I only get the cast offs' and present it to your missus. While she is incredulous at your generosity let it be known that you've had it mind for a while but the little bit of trouble with the card forced the issue. While she's basking in your kind gesture, slip off to the pub before she twigs it.

I had the same problem. It is the contacts in your Olympus. I tried this and it worked like a charm. I slid a piece of paper in with the card, on the opposite side from the contacts. This pushed the card over a few thousandths of an inch and the card made contact with the contacts, and the card worked. I left the paper in for a week or so and when I removed the card (and paper) to dump it onto my PC I neglected to put the paper back with it, but . . . it worked and has worked ever since. I guess the extra pressure applied to the contacts must have cleaned them. Now I can use any of my cards in the camera without the paper. One would think Olympus would supply some sort to contact cleaning card with a very fine abrasive on it to clean the contacts, or maybe it makes better business sense to them to not fix the problem and to sell more cameras!!

Bob

For third party xDs, it's a no-no to format via the PC/card reader as it will result to the card error being experienced. I revived my troublesome Fuji xD camera by convincing the store clerk to format my xD with their Fuji camera. And after formatting it worked on my C750.
These days I'm just careful to use "copy" on my third party xDs and not move or cut when transferring to the PC.

Back