DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which is the best 28mm lens

G'day everyone,

I too have just signed on with this site. In my opinion, the 28mm f2.8 AIS is one of the best, if not the best wide angle that Nikon has ever produced. I love mine, it's sharp, has great contrast and color reproduction, and allows for some very innovative close-up work. It's infinity performance may not be as good as the f2. Read the reviews at nikonlinks.com. For your info, I have recently compiled and averaged all of the ratings that I can find on these (and all) Nikon lenses. Here are the results (out of 5.00):

28mm f2 AI,AIS 4.61, overall rank = 11
28mm f2.8 AIS 4.56, overall rank = 12

These appear to be the top 2 Nikkor wide angles, but always try one out for yourself, if possible. There were not enough ratings to rank the older f3.5, but it did get a 4.15 average from only two reviewers.

All this said, I also agree with general comments about camera and lens technique. You can obtain great images with just about any lens, if you know it's performance characteristics and limitations.

Cheers,
Greg

Greg,
The Nikkor 28mm F/2.8 is simply put the best 28 mm of the manual Nikkor. When the conversion of AI to AIS was done, is my understanding that this was the only lens that changed in design( elements,CRC,etc.), all others lenses (AI),in all focal lenghts, remained unchanged.

Back