DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Old is new is old again

Tom Caldwell

This is a style of image presentation that I tried for a while and sadly stopped doing.

It is a rigorous style I have done other subjects, such as people but I am concerned with older buildings in this sample.

My self imposed rules: point of view - full frontal - no perspective - remove all modern artefacts - line drawing style in B&W - no people

IMG_4410-057.jpg

This literally took me three days to process, involved three days of detailed work. I removed three parked cars in front of the building, street signs and overhead cables. Changed the current store name to the name of a historical predecessor including font, positioning etc.

Other images also required detailed work but this one really tested my learning phase.

IMG_4426-024c.jpg

RSCRW_6054-0123c.jpg

RSIMG_3343-0125.jpg

RSIMG_3593-0135s.jpg

RSIMG_3789-0126c.jpg

Very nicely done Tom. Excellent work.

These are excellent works of (photographic) art. It’s obvious that the final results are important, but at least for me the effort that is put into any labor of love is just as important, if not more. I commend you for your efforts to see this through.

I really like this set of photos, Tom. Older and interesting buildings are a favourite of mine too, and yes here in Australia "older" is a bit harder to find and often much newer than in other parts of the world. Nonetheless there is a lot of charm in these structures.

A unique concept well executed. A nicely done series. I can't imagine the PP effort this takes. :cry:

Thank you for your kind words, it will encourage me to perhaps revisit this technique, discovered almost by accident in the first place.

I did a whole series on Charters Towers - a place with many historic buildings in regular use today. It is surprising that a place so relatively remote had such heavy investment in such infrastructure. It even had an Opera House and was once the second largets town in Queensland after Brisbane. Such was the impressive power of buried gold.

Most excellent series, Tom. I love them all. They look simplistic, but I can see a lot of work involved to completion.

Back