DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sony Alpha 100

No probs John.

Agree about Photokina, I'll be watching closely
happy.gif

Foveon with it's individual layers for each primary color, is an interesting technology.
For me they would need to get round the problem of noise over 400 iso and in long exposures. (+ 5sec)

No doubt it won't be long before another sensor technology is invented to confuse the issue further ;-)

10+ mp LBCAST anyone? lol

Full of hope that any new Foveon might have overcome the problems. I believe currently it's not very good in low light either. It has been some time since we heard from them so I'm hoping there has been lots of R&D going on. It's a bit odd that only Sigma (and Polaroid) seems to be interested in Foveon though. Perhaps they have an exclusive deal or maybe any new Sigma won't use Foveon. There seems to be a dearth of information about new Foveon developments and no new cameras.

I hadn't heard of LBCAST but I looked it up and the announcement was 2003... ah well.

Siu,
I think Sony may produce a full frame sensor camera in time and that would be a very exciting prospect.

Cheers,

John

> Because Foveon sensors are so mad expensive it would make the price of the > Sony too high and nobody would buy it at that price. I mean, look at the > Sigma. Its ~ $2000, and the only thing that makes it that price is the > sensor. But if sony adds a foveon, it has to add it to the price you pay > for the Anti-Shake, the dust removal, the size of the camera, and other > aspects of functionality that the sigma does not have. You end up with a > very pricey camera. >

You can buy the current Sigma for about £500 new now in the UK. I believe that it does have dust removal.
I had not realized that the Foveon sensors were much more expensive than other types. Perhaps that is why they have not "taken off" after all the initial hype. I still think, as a non technical person, that the concept is very appealing. If there is to be a new Sigma at Photokina, I hope that it will include all the modern features and be reasonably priced. After all the digital camera king Canon 1Ds is about £5000 sans lenses.

Hi Valabapo

Yes that lens should work fine
happy.gif

Any Minolta made AF lens should work without any problems.

Here is a great site for tutorials:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/index.shtml

Hi John

LBCAST is a Nikon technology, it is still used in the 4 Mega Pixel Nikon D2h.
They don't seem to have bothered developing (no pun intended! lol) it after the D2h, which is a shame, it seems to be a very good sensor.

thanks for the reply Rincewind.

one more thing. my purpose in getting another lens is that i want to be able to ZOOM some more. (bring objects more closer?) will this lens do the job?

thanks for the patience.

Yes it will.

It should give a maximum magification of approximately 8x on the A100.
The angle of view at the long end of the zoom is similar to using a 400mm lens on a 35mm camera.

I have one of these lenses and used it to good effect at an airshow last year.
It's not a bad lens, but it's also not the greatest either, it suffers from purple fringing and is soft if used wide open. (f5.6 at 300mm)
Fringing is a purplish halo that hugs the edges of objects when brightly lit from behind.
For ex&le a tree branches against a bright sky.

If you want a much better lens, the Minolta 100-300mm APO D is far ahead in terms of quality and doesn't suffer the fringing, but it's eaily twice the price.

However, if your on a budget, it's not a bad lens when you learn to avoid it's weaknesses, namely shoot at F11 if you can.
Here's a link to shot of an Apache attack helicopter, doing an upside down loop while firing off it's anti missile flares.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/MrForgetful/Apache.jpg

Hi Den,
That must be the fast Nikon.I suppose they are happy with the results from their other sensors but I hear a rumour of a new Nikon to arrive soon so maybe it will appear in that? Anything's possible! - especially now that they have Sony on the attack, with Sony's own sensors too.

Back