DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

> never experienced this with my Nikon equipment... > > Does anyone have an explanation? ================================================================= Yes. It is the difference between a normal, non-retrofocus lens and a retrofocus lens. Think of a retrofocus lens as a reversed telephoto. In simplest terms the image is coming from a point farther from the film plane.

My grandmother is my first subject when I take a new camera .. so , I've done her a photo recently in b/w with Leica M6 Summicron 50 ; the interesting think is that she love this Leica photo .. why ? She don't know nothing about Nikon , Leica , Canon and so on .. so why ? I agree whit Mark : is the magic Leica "fingerprint" ..

i recently sent a new leica M6 TTL .58 version back for servicing because all my negatives were soft. i could not manage an 8X10 out of any of the negatives.
I would like to know if nayone alse has had this experience. I am a very dissapointed and have considered selling all my leica equipment.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

leo

Leo,

I have had an M6 from the first year it was made. The camera and lenses are great. If you camera comes back with a report that it was fine, you may want to check your lenses.

Good luck.

B2

Leo,

Unfotunately you can pick up faulty equipment from any manufacturer. The range finder could be out of wack and needs adjusting. If the camera checks out ok, it may be worth while getting your eyesight tested, just to be absolutely sure. I doubt that all your lenses are off. It is conceivable that one may be poorly assembled but not three.

I'm sure once the problem is sorted you will enjoy using the M6 very much.

Goog luck and I hope all turns out well. Lets us know how it works out.

craig

Leo;

Sorry to hear you may have a defective M6. I too have experienced some problems. My first M6 TTL was a 0.72x that drained the battery in two rolls. It was returned & repaired under warranty. Later that same year (2001) I purchased an M6 TTL 0.85x. This time, the counter failed to advance (it got stuck at frame 7). It too was returned & this time I got a brand new body as a replacement. The distributor also threw in an SF20 flash & an M grip free of charge for my troubles (nice, but frankly I don't use either accessory).

I was very annoyed with both incidents, considering the amount of money we have to pay for these cameras. On the upside, Leica & its distributor immediately owned up to the failures and either repaired or replaced as above, no questions asked.

If you have more than one lens & you have soft results with all of them, chances are it's the body (as Craig mentioned, probably a rangefinder repair is required). If it's only on one lens, then it's probably that lens but I'd send it both the body & lens to be sure.

As I mentioned, I went thro' two successive warranty repairs on two different bodies with the TTL M cameras. It is definitely disappointing, so I know what you're going through. But if Leica takes care of it as they normally do, I hope you'll give your Leica gear another chance & stick with it.

Best of luck & let us know how it turns out for you.

Regards,
Marco

Re: Leica metering

Brent,

Well I have been a M6 user for just 1 week now and the first thing that struck me were the perfect metering results compared to the sophisticated metering system of my SLR...
I thought this was because the Leica is metering with the lens stopped down. This should be more accurate than metering with the lens wide open + then calculating the correct stop...

Dave

> More than likely, it is the selective area metering which gives great results. You know what you are metering, as opposed to "matrix" systems. You can easily check the accuracy of your other metering system to see if you get an equivalent exposure at smaller apertures from wide-open. I used to use an Olympus OM system where the wide-open aperture disagreed slightly with stopped down. Although within latitude of film used, I like the accuracy of the M6 also.

FINALLY got to open the birthday present I got back in February, a LHSA M6 .85 and a 35mm F2. Taking a bit of time to get my hands used to the M6 after all my other cameras. I'm sure I'll have a few dark/out of focus etc shots, but it feels like a great piece.

Jeff

Enjoy your M6 photography

The Ms can take a little getting used to after SLRs. But they are simple machines that are amazingly easy to use. You'll have great shots in no time. Post some results on the gallery pages please.

best wishes craig

Back