DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Choice D2H or D1X

N

nikond1

I have spent a lot of time, but can´t decide which of D2H or D1X there´s the best.

I have been reading both manual, but I would like to hear why you would select D1X or D2H without thinking of the price.

Just now where I´m thinking of changing my D1 I think it maybe maybe will be D1X even it´s more expensive than D2.

Please tell me your thoughts about ........
Kindly regards
Bjarne
NikonPro.dk

Bjarne wrote,
"I have spent a lot of time, but can´t decide which of D2H or D1X there´s the best."

Best for what?

If you are a full-time sports shooter, then the D2H is your obvious choice. It has a huge buffer allowing you to shoot sequences of eight frames per second with up to 40 frames before the buffer is filled.

If you are shooting large sporting events for a metropolitan daily newspaper and constantly have editors screaming at you for being slow to deliver images - even though you have been sitting in a two hour traffic jam - the WiFi transmitter will wirelessly transfer the images from the stadium or speedway as you shoot. I would have killed for that feature when I was shooting sports.

It starts almost instantly, has very little lag and the mirror blackout is so quick as to be virtually unnoticeable. Four megapixels will reproduce fine on newsprint. It is also a camera that will work resonably well if you are a news shooter, though most of its features are a bit of overkill. Rarely does a news shooter do a 40 image sequence, so that big expensive buffer and high-speed processor will mostly go to waste. If you are freelancing, editors may expect 6MP-8MP images now.

However, you have the benefit of contemporary technology. With the D1X you would be buying a camera with tech that was in need of replacement a year ago. It has had about the longest shelf life of any digital camera that is still on the market. It was a great camera - the state of the art when it was announced at PMA in 2001. It is surpassed now by the entry-level prosumer D70, in almost every way other than build.

Again if you are shooting sports for a living, you have the choice made for you. The D2H is a highly specialized single-purpose camera body optimized for sports only. If you are not a sports photographer, buying a D2H would be silly. It is mostly the huge buffer, superfast processor and wireless transfer of images to the sports desk that accounts for the price. As a general purpose camera, the dirt cheap D70 is far more versatile and economical. The D1X is an antique waiting to be put to rest.

Photokina is coming up at in a couple of weeks, and it is widely expected that Nikon will have some interesting cameras to announce. The D2X is vastly overdue. A successor to the mid-range D100 is certainly more than due. There have been rumours as well about a F6 with interchangeable film and digital backs - though I am a bit skeptical about that.

Digital technology moves at a frantic pace, and huge improvements to image quality and camera response come with each generation. I would say now is the worst possible time to buy. See what the camera makers have to offer at Photokina, and then make your choice, with the freshest and best.

larry!
ICQ 76620504
http://www.larry-bolch.com/

Larry wrote:
"Again if you are shooting sports for a living, you have the choice made for you. The D2H is a highly specialized single-purpose camera body optimized for sports only. If you are not a sports photographer, buying a D2H would be silly. It is mostly the huge buffer, superfast processor and wireless transfer of images to the sports desk that accounts for the price. As a general purpose camera, the dirt cheap D70 is far more versatile and economical".

Larry, I beg to differ on this one. There is hardly any digital camera in the market that can supersede the d2h in terms of its versatility for general purpose photography in terms of colour acuracy, response time, buffer size, ability to meter with non-cpu lenses, the list is endless.

You shoud be in no doubt that I have intensively and extensively reviewed most dslr but none to my knowledge has those features as the d2h. The forth coming d2x will not be any better, indeed it will have less features except of course if you are into pixel and pixel alone hunting (that's my prediction after reviewing some information from Nikon).

For those into portrature among other users, the d2h is indespensable. A3+ prints is a breeze. I shot some test shots using ISO 1000, you will be amazed to know that the noise level may at most be compared to ISO 400 with the scaned film, and with a bit of Nikon Capturing, you can significantly remove any colour noise.

I´m glad for all response. The reason why I ask for your choise is that here in Denmark the price of D1X is nearly the double of D2H. You are resding right.... D1X is the most expensive and many are saying the best.
I want to get the best for my nature and portrait pictures and I´m still in doubt, so please.....
happy.gif

Kindly regards
Bjarne

Innocent,
I was buying into your argument until you started telling us what features the D2x has. I really don't believe anything but rumors have been released about this camera. Many people claim to have information from a close Nikon source but if there is a Nikon D2x, very few Nikon employees know much. Those that do, won't risk their job to pre-release info.
Tom

Tom,
I have no contact with Nikon nor has any Nikon staff said anything about d2x to me. What I said about Nikon d2x was only my prediction based on reviwed literature from Nikon website where it was said that the current technology of slr has been pushed to its utmost in d2h and by implication you would'nt be expecting any thing better in the d2x except in the unlikely scernario that Nikon has just developed a new slr tech overnight.

Bjarne, Your last comment again helps me further see what your style of shooting is---landscape and portrait. Now, I am not trying to start a war between Nikon and Fuji. I have a small arsenal of Nikon lenses and love my 75-240mm lens (consumer, it may be, but it is incredibly sharp!!). I have a D70 and it is a great camera. I have no complaints, but I saw enough testing between the S2 and D100 side-by-side, that I restate my earlier comment. You should take a look at the Fuji S3. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the flesh tones. You may still prefer the D2H. I would not get the D1X.

Hi Tom
thanks for the comments. Just now I´m using D1 (and F5) with following 24-35mm f 2.8, 50mm f 1.4, 60 mm f 2.8, 24-120mm VR 3.5-5.6 and 80-400mm VR f 4.5-5.6 the last two special for nature and I´m so glad for the support from Nikon.dk that I still will have Nikon. I´m also most thinking of getting D2H, but I can´t understand why D1X still is so much more expensive than D2H here in Denmark..........
I´m never (untill now) printing my picture larger than A4 format, but hope to get a new photoprinter for A3.
All in all I just now think I will look for D2H
Thanks for all comments
Kindly regards
Bjarne

Back