DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma 50-150/2.8 VS 70-200/2.8

Thank you for that encouraging words. As soon I get some free time I will go through all posts an tutorials that are written and try to get through the problem an then I will also ask if I don't know something.

Thaks guys, You're the best :z02_respekt:

Sorry if my techi posts are difficult to comprehend, I always thought people would simply ask if there was any problems understanding the information. The purpose of forums like this is for people to have discussions. I also try to be sufficiently detailed with the hope that I'm providing all the info on the subject.

It has always been my view that the stupid questions are the questions which never get asked. Basically, if you or anyone has a question, ask it, otherwise how else would you ever learn.

Stiffy, you're the bomb.

coming back to your topic Vigor:

I`d recommend the 50-150 f2.8 because as a handheld lens the balance between weight, ienght and handholdability is perfect !
With the 70-200mm handheld photography will be shaky resulting in more blurred pictures e.g. mostly unusable ones. Don´t forget multiplying the given lens numbers with the factor 1.7.
Some user find the 50-150 less sharp wide-open in that case you simply stop down to f4.0.
With all front-back-focus problems I recommend sending it to Sigma service (with your Sigma camera body(ies)) as often as needed which will cost you shipment only under guarantee. If they don´t get it properly fixed I would insist on an exchange lens.
The 70-200mm definitely is more of a tripod oriented lens for professional quality results. A integrated anti-shake/OS version of this lens would be killer !!!

Good luck, with time and patience your efforts will be rewarded with great FOVEON pictures !

Hi there.

Meanwhile I bought 70-200/2.8, not macro and not II version, but it's still great lens. I didn't have right oportunity too realy test it, specialy at 2.8, but at f4 it is reeeeeealy sharp. Yes it's heavy and im planing to buy a monopod to avoid shaken pictures, but I think it' s worth it. After I will go to test it, than I will post some images here.

'till then, I wish you great light

Vigor....I went with this lens also....just for the little extra reach.....112-320mm on the SD14 is awsome....I would get a 24-70mm or the 24-60mm to complete the set....

Good shooting...!!!:z04_cowboy:

Hi there.

Meanwhile I bought 70-200/2.8, not macro and not II version, but it's still great lens. I didn't have right oportunity too realy test it, specialy at 2.8, but at f4 it is reeeeeealy sharp. Yes it's heavy and im planing to buy a monopod to avoid shaken pictures, but I think it' s worth it. After I will go to test it, than I will post some images here.

'till then, I wish you great light

Vigor....I went with this lens also....just for the little extra reach.....112-320mm on the SD14 is awsome....I would get a 24-70mm or the 24-60mm to complete the set....

Good shooting...!!!:z04_cowboy:

I decided in the older times for the 50-150/2.8 for me. Mainly because of the weight advantages over the 70-200/2.8.

I had with one lens backfocus problems, it git replaced against the 50-150/2.8 HSM II. This one has no BF problems, it is sharp wide open, although ov course not as sharp as my Zeiss ZS FFL on the Sigma.

What I miss a littel bit with the 50-150/2.8 is the possibility to blurr the background better. The Crop factor of the SD14 is quite heavy (1.7), so every mm you have more oin the long end helps to make the images looking better by blurring wide open (F2.8-5.6) the background

Do you have accidentely some images to show wide open (F2.8/4/5.6) handheld with low ISO (100 or 400) and a background which is not too far away from the subject?

Thanks

Hi.

At the moment I don't have pictures like that, I think. But I will check for some, and if I find it I will post it here.

Here, I found soma photos:

200mm, f4, iso 100
ball200mmf4iso100.jpg

200mm, f4, iso 100
beer200mmf4iso100.jpg

200mm, f2.8, iso 200
girl200f2-8iso200.jpg

Shot with sigma sd14, sigma 70-200/2.8

I hope that photos are helpful.

ciao

Hi Vigor

thanks for the images. It seems to me, that the difference between the 70-200/2.8 and the 50-150/2.8 with respect to blirring the backgroudn if teh background is near the subject and teh photographer is not close enough to the subject, is marginal.

I used to have 2 years ago a Nikon VR 70-300 with a Nikon D80. And with 300mm I ws able to blurr easier the backgroudn away, although I was far from the subject. But teh Nikon D80 has a crop factor of 1.5 and 300mm is 100 more than 200mm. So not a fair comparison.

I am afraid that I need then to reach for a longer focal lenght. But I do not like to carry so much weight :(

Sigma sends me sometimes lenses to test them. But I try to limit this, since my wife will kill me if the house is always full of "photography stuff" :z04_zeter01:

Today my son will have hockey training. I will grab a Sigma 150-500 and my SD14 and try to make some shots, Weather is not really good here. But I will try. I will then upload here in the forum.

Thanks again for the example shots

Best wishes

Back