DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 058

J

jyr

Hello,
I have two questions.
1) I would like to know when did the 0.58 version start (before M6TTL or not)
2) I have sometimes a trouble with the shutter release of my M6 (from the 90's): approximatively 10% of the shots it may trigger either half its way down, or 3/4 or, even, only after a strong push, if the motion of my finger is very slow. It's uneasy. Sometimes I missed nice pictures due to this. Has someone experienced that who would know the way to get out of it?
Thanks in advance...

The .58 version started with the M6TTL. The shutter release can be adjusted by a repair person. In theory you may be able to adjust the release yourself. It's done via the bottom of the camera. Not something I would recommend to everyone. There is a range at which M's can trip. Some are set to trip high and some trip low. Your M6 may be getting to the point where it's time for a CLA as the shutter release may be an indication. I bought my M6 new and after a CLA it was better than it was when new. If you are bothered by the flaring of the patch on your M6 it would be a good time to get the condenser added too. While I'm spending your money swap the advance lever for the type found on the M2, M3 and MP and you have a virtual MP. Until you decide to get the MP .58 version. Start saving!

--Jim

http://www.jimarnold.org

Dear Jim
Sorry for my poor english, cause I'm french: what is a CLA? Thanks a lot for your advice!
JY

Hi,
Another point: is there a frame for the 24 mm in the viewfinder of a 0.58? Is it possible to take pictures with a 24 mm on a 0.58 M6 without an external viewfinder?
Thanks,
JY

With regard to the 24mm frame, I have a 0.58 M7 and there is no frameline in that, so I assume it's the same for the M6. The whole of the viewfinder (ignoring any framelines) give an approximate indication of the field of view, but I still use the expensive and flimsy-looking, but in use quite strong and good, viewfinder. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Does any one know if Leica will convert an old M6 to a .58 viewfinder? and, if so, the approximate cost?

Thnx,
Garth

Hi Garth,

I received a quote from LeicaShop in Vienna, for the replacement of the viewfinder and telemeter block for my M6TTL 0,72 by the 0.58 new module that is currently used for the MP. Very expensive job though, around €900. There are other service stations available I guess including Leica AG and you should shop around. I specifically asked for the MP module because of the flare problem of the M6 viewfinder. I am not sure if the MP module fits the M6 but given the modularity of Leica M cameras my strong guess is that it will fit. Regards,

Fernando

Thanks Fernando, I'm going to contact a my dealer here in Chicago to get a price.

Pelikan, it was originally my goal to by an MP. $3500 is $2000 more than a used M6, which would more than buy a good used 21mm. It's too much to ignore, unless I want to wait another year. And I don't know if the MP is really worth two thousand dollars more. Yeah, it's the 'last camera you'll ever want to own', but I want to take pictures more. Thanks for the advice, though. : )

Back