DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The best Sharp Lenses....

Bustoner

Good day all,
...ask if exist a list of the most sharpest lens ever made for 35mm (better if old), will like to try many to make a good list for the SD14,
can have different performance for crop factor?

and already exist a way where anybody around world can test is own lens in the same identical way, and of course with the same identical instrument/tester...?
example: like print a "drawing/pattern test" on a A4 and from 1,2,3 meters in the same light (like sun or...), make tests and post photos (here the problem will be the different printers performance).
Any other Idea?

I don't know if they are the sharpest of all time...but I have a few MF lenses that I love and use...

Tamron Adaptall
90mm Macro
70-150mm Macro

Nikon
50mm f1.2
35mm Tilt-shift
55mm Macro

Zeiss ZF for Nikon
85mm f1.4
35mm f2

Voighander
58mm f1.4 Nokton

Hope this helps you out a little....I use the SD14 converted to Nikon-F for MF lenses....

Tony, I'm curious about the 3 last lenses you elencate (both Zeiss & Voighander), can you please post 3 photo samples?

Give me a few days...and I will take some new pictures of them...everything so far is just around the house...have not gotten out much since summer started...

Tony C.

Good day all,
...ask if exist a list of the most sharpest lens ever made for 35mm (better if old), will like to try many to make a good list for the SD14,
can have different performance for crop factor?

These are my sharpest lenses I have:

Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Planar T*
Nikon 35mm f1.4 AIS
Canon FL 55mm f1.2
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T*
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 "Olympic" Sonnar
Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 IF AIS
Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF (60B)

I have many more but they are the sharpest.

Thanks a lot DSG,
I like to ask you, please, tell me how that Canon FL 55mm fit on the SD14, can you show me a photo of the conversion of the lens (I imagine)?

Thanks Bustoner :)

Hi Bustoner. The registration distance of the Canon FL/FD mount is 42mm, 2mm less than Sigma SA, so to allow the lens to reach infinity focus on the SD14 I had to turn down the rear boss (the bit the mounting plate screws onto) by 2mm on a lathe. This brings the rear element 2mm closer to the SD14's sensor. Then I fitted an SA mounting plate to it, plus a shim from a Sigma lens, and job was a goodun.
Here are some pics of the conversion (after machining):

sdim0937crb5.jpg

sdim0941csp6.jpg

sdim0943cop1.jpg

img17390cbo0.jpg

img17389csq4.jpg

And one on the camera:

img17883cmr9.jpg

These are my sharpest lenses I have:

Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon T*
Nikon 35mm f1.4 Ai-S
Canon FL 55mm f1.2
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T*
Carl Zeiss Jena 180mm f2.8 "Olympic" Sonnar
Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 ED IF Ai-S
Tamron SP 300mm f2.8 LD IF (60B)

I have many more but they are the sharpest.

I want to add the Tamron SP 17mm f3.5 to that list . Its a 12 element lens which is much sharper than my old 11 element Tokina 17mm f3.5 RMC.

Thanks for the conversion photos... very good work!

I'm trying that type of conversion on a Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4, think not possible... the back element is just at limit, and the registration distance is 40.7mm (need to trim 3.3mm) ...checking if I will touch the IR filter.

...a really good lens :)

Thanks for the conversion photos... very good work!

I'm trying that type of conversion on a Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.4, think not possible... the back element is just at limit, and the registration distance is 40.7mm (need to trim 3.3mm) ...checking if I will touch the IR filter.

...a really good lens :)

Dont have any MTF figures for the 50/1.4 but the Hexanon 50mm f2 might be even better as it scores an impressive 4.5 MTF.
You also need to make sure which Konica Bayonet mount it is...Konica AR is 40.7 but Konica F is 40.5...3.3mm difference is bad enough but 3.5mm is even worse!
Best of luck though as I considered getting one a while back but chickened out because of the large registration distance diiference.

Back