DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CY Lens Collection Question

I was reading leica-info and some people do share the same experience with me. I brought a mint non-asph R 90 2 and shot with it regularly. At 2 and 2.8, this lens is a bit too soft. Portraits at these apertures give me a feel of going to sleep. For those who like soft lens this is it. I sold it and now I am using R90 2.8 with happiness. It certainly reproduces images with a higher degree of realism and it costs less than 90 2. I also have apo M90 2 asph and I am certainly very much impressed by this lens. I doubt if Zeiss could go very much ahead with their new M mount 85 2 compared to the Leica counterpart. By the way, ASPH R90 2 is optically the same as ASPH M90 2.
I certainly agree with most of what Marc has written,in fact, I learned much from him. C-Y 70-210 is certainly very good. In terms of bokeh, it is like other Contax lenses which exhibits astigmatism. I published earlier in this forum that this kind of bokeh is also seen in G45 2. Other lenses which do not have this are C-Y 100 2 and the new Zeiss M-mount 50 2 Planar. Bokeh from these lenses are more pleasing. Astigmatic Bokeh looks like Van Gogh's work. He used parallel lines to reconstruct the face of a Portrait. You can certainly sees parallel patterns in astigmatic bokeh. If you like Van Gogh's work,you will certainly like this kind of bokeh. If someone wish to predict if a lens will produce astigmatic bokeh from the MTF graph, one can look for whether the two lines,one saggital and one tangential,divert or not. Those lenses with these lines staying nicely together gives the best bokeh. Those who wish to see photos on this subject could refer to my postings in this forum on G system,G lenses,Zeiss Ikon.

Recently I heard my lovely 21 2.8 has climbed up so much in its prices, but I am keeping it rather than selling it,despite it will get a very good price in the e-bay. I am not using it for digital work, but it has certainly a character which cannot even be replaced by the new 21 2.8 of the Zeiss M mount. It can focus down to 0.22 m. At this distance, it can produce all kinds of interesting perspectives. My friends are urging me to sell it,but I will keep it. I am going to reduce this distance even further by acquiring an AX.

Just FYI, my N28-80 has this astigmatic bokeh as well. Maybe the thinking in Zeiss R&D was to sacrifice the bokeh in exchange for in-focus performance and the cost?

I have to disagree that the 70-210 exhibits Astigmatism. In the first color photo above it seems like it but the branch that was almost in focus was moving in the wind, and the effect got worse when I processed the digital image. If you look at the remaining portions in the background the double lined type Bokeh is not there. I know what you are talking about because I had a Nikon 300mm that did that.

Here's another from the same shoot with the 70-210. The background is extremely smooth. No other shot I've taken with this lens has shown anything but almost perfect OOF areas. Web compression plays havoc with some of these more subtile lens characteristics.

374138.jpg

You guys are doing a good job explaining the lens properties and yet I am very confused now.

Anyway, the B&W pic seems to have the double line as well from the plant. Perhaps it is just the natures of the subject (shape).

People keep saying the CZ lenses produce bokeh like Mone's (spelling?) painting. Now I know what it exactly means when I saw Marc's first picture.

The B&W was with a different lens Albert. Yes. Monet is kinda right. Look at the yellowish grass at the bottom behind the couple. Beautiful.

Irakly, why are you sitting there. You should be calibrating my screen right now !!! Call me. I tried your cell phone, no answer.

Actually, they do have a green cast. It was in the photo itself from all the trees. I was just too lazy to fix it.

"The B&W was with a different lens"

That's right, how can I ever forget. The two pictures telling me you were having too much fun.. CZ lens on Canon body, Hassy lens on Contax 645 body.

I have three Zeiss Jena glass for my Pentacon 6 (180, 80 and 35mm), and has an adaptor for my C645. With the NAM-1 adaptor, I guess I could mount them into my ND. But I wonder if it worths the trouble as I am pretty happy with my N and C645 glasses.

I wonder if the bokeh of the N 70-300 comparable to the C/Y Zeiss 70-210?

For those interested in the 21mm f2.8 Distagon - Hot Buys Electronics claim to have them for sale at what would seem to be a reasonable price of $1099.98. To get to their site just join the 3 words up and stick the .com on the end. Don't treat this as a recommendation to trade with them, though. I had difficulties once buying the 18mm Distagon. I ended up going somewhere else. You need to make your own judgement.

Regards

Alex

Back