DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What lenses will the Mutar II work with

G

I know the Mutar II is limited to work with certain lenses. In paricular, does it work with the 135mm f2.8?

The Recommended lenses for the Mutar II are: 135/f2.8 Sonnar 180/f2.8 Sonnar 200/f2.0 ApoSonnar 200/f4.0 TeleTessar 300/f2.0 Apo-TeleTessar 500/f4.5 Mirotar 1000/f5.6 Mirotar

Possible to use with the Mutar II but with some "optical restrictions": 100/f2.0 Planar 135/f2.0 Planar

All the rest are not possible due to mechanical restrictions.

...In the download section on the left, I scanned also the Zeiss lens overviews of the brochures. There you find also the compatibility overview....

According to the Zeiss broshures, the Mutar II is "very recommended" for 135/2.8, 180/2.8, 200/2.0, 200/4.0, 300/2.8 and 300/4.0.

Only "recommended" for 500/4.5 and 1000/5.6.

However, it is possible to connect it also to the lenses 100/2.0, 135/2.0, S-Planar 100/4.0. For all other lenses a combination with the Mutar II is not possible.

dirk

Hi Geir,

it is strange. I was looking at the pdf-file of the Mutar II. The 100-300 is even not listed there. In the Contax system broshure of 1994 it is marked as "not possible". I will try to upload the Mutar pdf file soon. I checked also the Zeiss homepage but the 100-300 is still not mentioned there. I do not know what that means. Maybe they just oversaw it ?

As long as your are able to combine it and you did not experience any problem mechanical or optical, it is fine for me...

I put that on my list for Zeiss questions...

dirk

> > Hi,

this has just been discussed on Alexanders List recently and the answer is simple: Optically the solution is possible, with good success (At least some of the list members found the results acceptable).

HOWEVER: Mechanically the zoom only fits if extended to 300mm (and mabybe earlier) so if you push it back after mounting the back-glass from the zoom will hit the front glass of the Mutar. Probably Zeiss considers this to be to risky to officially claim it's working. But I have one Catalog, where the combination Mutar II and VS100-300 is marked as being possible, while on all others it's not.

Mike

Extendet to 150mm you can mount a mutar II or III. After mouning, the glasses will not touch! The dangerous part is the mounting!!!

Back