DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Black and White Film

Here's an illustration of the effect, Minolta Scan Multi II vs. Epson 3200 scan of the same 6x6 frame of Delta 400.

Minolta first...

169392.jpg

These are scaled down to 50% from the native scan res (although the Minolta uses interpolation), as the 100% files are a bit too small to give enough context. I did a quick bit of curvery to reduce the apparent contrast of the Minolta scan, and it has ended up slightly less contrasty overall than the Epson file. Here's the full frame from the Minolta:

169398.jpg

Finally, the Epson full frame:

169401.jpg

I should add that none of these files have been sharpened, and the scans were made and manipulated in hi-bit mode before being taken back to 8-bit for saving as JPEG. I've tried similar experiments with the Minolta 5400, and that is hard as nails too. It's a bit like enlarger heads, you want one for B&W and another for colour.

Regards,

-= mike =-

Excellent stuff Mike .... even taking into account resizing etc.

As an armchair observer (haven't touched B&W for a few years) ... this series of shots is very interesting.

I try to follow threads on scanning to see if I can squeeze any more out of my ancient Nikon LS20. I've noticed that colour slides seem to scan much more smoothly than colour negs, the grain being more emphasised with the neg. I'll have to dig up some older B&W negs and see how they compare.

Anyone any experience with the LS20 or any tips?

Cheers, Kyocera Kid.

how about imacon? does anyone in here use it? and can anyone provide a comparison? If going this route, is it better to just send the film off to someone else? scott

Thanks Mike,

I like the softer grain on the Epson for portiture. I am wondering about the Photoshop elements. Is it a good enough program to start with or should I go ahead and get the Photoshop 7. I know that the learning curve is extensive from watching the post on this board the last year or so.

Warren,

Elements is a great way to get up the learning curve for PS. Pretty much everything you learn about elements will carry over into PS.

PS has more tools and powerful features, and if you start with elements, you will probably want to use PS in the end. But usually, elements comes free, so you can learn with that at no risk.

Hi Warren,

I have both Photoshop Elements 2 and Photoshop 6 and I find myself using only Photoshop Elements nowadays. Elements has a little 'pop-up window' explaining the tool you have selected so you will know the possibilities in no time. On the other hand, digital 'processing' is as much a craftsmanship as is the good old wet stuff and you wil notice that even after years you will discover new possibilities in your digital dark room.
Photoshop Elements has all the good stuff that Photoshop has and is by no means a not as good program as Photoshop is, it's just more suited for non-proffesional users and in my opinion the best there is around by far.The only things they threw out are the more proffesional functions such as preparing your images for printed press etc. The only one thing I miss in Elements is the duo(tri, quad,..)-tone modus wich can give excellent results with B&W pictures (lith print alike).
I'd say go for Elements and spend the money you save on a good printer and/or scanner, you can always upgrade to Photoshop later and, since knowing elements, get the hang of it in no time.
Have fun in your digital dark room!
Rene, Holland.

Back