DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Regrding the digital back on the M camera....many posters have stated that with the current design of the M camera a digital back is not feasible. Indeed, Dr. Puts has stated the same thing in his very informative news letter.

How do you get the Erwin Puts newsletter? There is nothing on his site about it. I wrote to him about getting it and he never wrote back. It's been asking several times at Photo.net about how to get on it and nobody has ever responded. Is this the best kept secret in Leicadom? Why have a newsletter if you don't let people subscribe?

I have been using for one year R8 and began with a standard summicron f:2-50mm.During my travels in south east Asia, specially in Cambodia,taking a lot of architectural archaeological shots, I am an historian, I really
need to choose the right wide angular: in Paris,
some friends gave two different advices:
- an elmarit R:2,8/28mm
- or PC super-angulon 2,8/28mm
The elmarit offers probably more light and contrast and super-angulon allows perspective correction but requires probably the use of a tripod.
Can you give me your precious point of view ?
Thank you so much for your answer and ,please
forgive my english, I need to improve my writing.

Philippe from Paris

se,
forgive my english,I need to improve my writing

> Phillipe, bravo pour votre anglais! J'espere que mon francais soit au moins > assez comprenable. Vous avez pose votre question dans le forum qui s'agit > du system Leica M (telemetre). Mais tout de meme, voici ma reponse: A mon > avis, ni le 2.8/2.8 ni le 28PC sont absolutment ideaux pour vos sujets > archeologiques. Je crois que vous en avez besoin d'un objectif qui peut etre deplace > *horizontalement* aussi que verticalement comme un PC. Je pense qu'il vaut > la peine d'acheter n'importe quel boitier Canon EOS (peut etre celui de plus > bon marche) avec le 2.8/24mm TSE. Cela vous permettra d'utiliser le principe > Scheimpflug pour augmenter le DOF quand vous photographera les sujets plats > sur la terre.

Dear Philippe,

My recommendation it the PC-Super-Angulon-R 1:2,8/28. I regretted not taking my PA-Curtagon-R 1:4/35 to Paris last year. They are both easy to use hand-held, particularly if you fit the 14 346 focusing screen with grid divisions.

Best wishes,

Justin

>>It saddens me that there is such a flaw in human nature that we spend so much time <<

Naaaa..I never wait. I have two digital cameras..both Fuji, both outstanding.

Colorado Jeff

to Jay and Justin

Thank you so much for your useful reccommendations: I appreciate truly.Take nice
pictures. Sincerely

Philippe

some friends gave two different advices: - an elmarit R:2,8/28mm - or PC super-angulon 2,8/28mm

====================================================

Your English is much better than my Francois. So do not feel badly about it. My experience is that the PC lens and a very sturdy tripod will prove to be the most useful for you. Not only for exterior shots but for interior work as well. I have used a PC-Nikkor inside the Experimental Aircraft Association Museum with wonderful results. I am sure you will find the same thing true with the PC lens for the Leica.

MP compared to M3

Woo-hoo! MP black lacquer 0.72x arrived today. Only downside is the Leicavit & accessory crank are back-ordered. I've got it side by side with my beloved M3. Here's my initial impressions.

- MP lacquer finish is smooth & even. No areas which are more shiny or more textured; consistent throughout. External build quality & feel is at least equal to my M3.

- the MP's advance lever, rewind spindle & lever, & frame selector are smooth but stiffer than the M3. Possibly due to the fact that my M3 is almost 50 years old (a DS model from the 50's converted to a SS by a previous owner) & the MP is brand new.

- Shutter releases on both MP & M3 are equally smooth.

- This is interesting: the viewfinder & rangefinder patch on the MP are brighter & have more constrast than my M3. It's especially noticeable on the rangefinder patch. The MP has a lot of contrast & is easy to use. My M3's rangefinder patch is quite yellowish & the image in it is noticeably dimmer & has less contrast. Note that my M3 gets regular maintenance - I had the rangefinder cleaned about five months ago by Reinhold Mueller (superb Leica repair person). Once again, it's probable that the yellowish & dimmer rangefinder patch is due to its half century in age.

- For the half day I've had it, I've tried every conceivable angle in an attempt to flare the rangefinder patch. So far, it's been as good as the M3. The MP really is an improvement over the M6 rangefinder.

- As I'm writing this, I just realized I haven't even bothered putting the battery in the camera! I've been using the MP exactly like my M3 - with an external meter or just guessing exposures. Hmm, maybe I'll leave out the battery for a while longer...sure makes for a clean viewfinder.

- Stuff that's not unique to the MP but is nicer than the M3 - the 0.72x finder makes it easier to use the 50mm framelines with glasses. The M4-M6 loading claw is way faster than the M3/2 spool. I suppose if I ever get around to putting the battery in, the built-in meter would be nice(!). I never use flash for my personal work but I also suppose it's nice having a hot rather than a cold shoe, as on the M3.

- My MP will NOT be a cabinet queen! I already have a photo shoot planned for it this evening. Should be fun to shoot side by side with the M3.

Marco,

Best of luck, and photographing with your new MP.
Sounds like you're going have a lot of enjoyment with it.

Back