DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Will there be a Canon 2D

old_admin_CI

There is a rumour about a new Canon EOS 2D with 22MP which shall be introduced on Septmeber 27th at Photokina. The french journal Chasseur dimage is writing about this in its online edition.

http://www.photim.com/Arrive/Sommaire.asp

Although there are no reliable information avalailable, we opened this thread, just to be sure to get all information together. If you hear/read something, post it here...

o.k., it si official now. Canon is announcing not a 2D, but a Canon 1Ds Mark II. This will be the successor of the Canon 1Ds and should not be mixed with the Canon 1D Mark II, which has no fullsize chip and less Pixel.

The Canon 1Ds Mark II has 16.7 MP, fullsize chip, higher fps (4) Iso til 3200 and some more improvements over the 1Ds.

Price will be 8.000 USD. Not a bargain
happy.gif

>Price will be 8.000 USD. Not a bargain

At that price, I have enough money in my pocket right now to buy a few.

Hi Dirk,

Am I the first refugee from the Contax ND? Actually Marc Williams probably qualifies for that title. The worst thing about the 1Ds Mk II is you need to wait to get one. I hate waiting.

I've spent most of the day studying the Canon lens line-up to see what I'll replace my Zeiss glass with - it hurts to leave those N zooms behind. Alas, life is always a compromise. The L primes are excellent, but it seems like the zooms are not quite up to the Zeiss standard, though they appear to be fine lenses.

The body may not be cheap, but pile on three L lenses and ... OUCH! You can buy a small car with that!

DJ
Saving up ...

A reliable source has indicated there is a 24 meg Canon EOS body already being tested that's due next year. Whether Canon will change the name to 2D is unknown.

Those who don't make money with these cameras are hard pressed financially to keep up with the rate of development that Canon seems to manage. I'd hate to be in competition with them.

DJ, while the short zooms leave something to be desired compared to the Ns, the longer Canon zooms are quite good.

To date no one system seems to have it all, but Canon is getting closer.

> If this happens, it will make a lot of product photographers really, =20=

> really happy. I have a pro friend who's bit the bullet and bought a 6 =20=

> megapixel Leaf C-Most back a couple of years back, but the upgrade =20 > price to the newer, higher resolution medium format models is just too = =20 > much for him to stomach, at this point and time. He started the =20 > digital trip with a Nikon D1, then went to the Leaf back on a Digiflex = =20 > (to use his Nikon glass), but he's not "platform religious" and =20 > probably would go the Canon road if the investement made sense. Quite =20=

> frankly, he's a wiz at lighting, and his clients have been happy with =20=

> the stuff from his C-Most setup, so the incentive to change isn't here = =20 > yet. But a 24 meg Canon would be rather tempting. Mind you, the files =20=

> such a beast would generate would put a strain on storage; hope it =20 > pushes down the prices of mass storage, because just thinking about =20=

> the space and processor power required to handle those images in =20 > Photoshop makes my wallet shiver. ;-)

Storage is a dollar a gig right now, in a short while it'll be 50 cents a gig I'd bet. Mac now has 8X DVD speeds, and I think we'll see 16X in a short time. What will really be necessary is a lot of RAM to quickly process the huge files one could dump on a desktop... while running a printer and burning a DVD at the same time.

As Marc points out reliable, server level storage is getting really cheap, thanks to SATA technology coming out. Seagate has a 200GB drive for $120 at Provantage - that's pretty damn close to 50 cents a gig! I don't even think in terms of burning DVDs anymore, but redundant online hard drives ... the environment is ripe for large image files
happy.gif

DJ

Has anybody heard of an actual release date for the 1Ds Mk II? All I've seen bandied about is November.

Back