DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Vario lenses 35-70 against 28-85 or 28-70

...the 35-70 is not just better (siginificantly) than the old 40-80, it is also lighter 475g vs. 660g. The 35-70 is better in the center fully open and stopped down and the distortion is also better (-2% against -6% at the end). I would highly recommend the 35-70, If you want to stay in this zoom range. Otherwise the 28-85, although big and heavy it has even better performance. Please look at the MTF data of all lenses in the download section and read in the second topic of the forum how to interprete these numbers.

dirk

Thanks for all comment. I got the clue now. 28-85 is basically my first choice but costly.

40-80 vario sonnar AE germany

Some of you asked about the 40-80 Germany AE lens, which I was lucky to find in good nick 2nd hand. Dirk says the MTF comparison with newer 35-70 and 28-85 lenses favours the new. You can dowload Zeiss's MTFs at this site, also for the 40-80 at this site: http://www.geocities.com/ilprode/TestZ.htm.

But apart from that (and could you SEE the difference?) the old one has a very sturdy (yes, heavy) feel which makes it (personally) a pleasure to use.

In addition, ALL the aperture and focal length markings are inset into the metal body, not just painted on as with many (all?) new lenses, which means they will never rub off.

I've heard rumours that the manufacturing quality control of the old German production is higher than the new Japanese, which makes the older lenses collectible in Japan. (Can anyone confirm this?) So, not to disparage the new lenses, I think the old one is a great buy second hand.

I have the same rumours (maybe truth) about the quality of German made lens. Anyway, I do not have enough experience to check whether the 2nd hand lens is good or not. I decided to buy a new lens. Surprisingly, I was attracted by another lens-85mm f1.4. I changed my mind very very shortly. I decided to buy 85mm f1.4. I am saving some more fund for 25mm or 21mm later. I personally prefer fix lens to zoom. Certainly, a zoom lens provides more flexibiliy in photo taking. I have an experience that a fix lens would force me to think and search the better position for taking photo. Zoom makes me lazy. This is one of the reasons of changing mind.

Having tried one roll of film, I could see an extreme good quality from 3R which was taken at f1.4 indoor lighting. (normally, I could not distinct big difference from 3R pictures.) I am amazed with this lens. Comparing to 70-210 f3.5 zoom full-open-aperture, 85mm is still better, checked by my naked eyes. The only drawback is the closed fousing distance is only 1 meter. Fortunaely, my AX has 10mm bellow effect which enable the lens to have around 0.5 meter focusing distance.

My friend bought the 28-85mm together with me. His comment on resolving power of this lens is "very good".

Thanks for all your comment though I bougth the other one.

Francis.

Any comments on how well the macro mode of the C/Y mount 35-70 performs? How does the macro mode in this lens work? Can you shoot at all focal lengths of the zoom? I could not find any at the local dealer for a look.

Gary,

The macro mode only works at the 35mm focal length setting. You zoom the barrel out to 35mm and then rotate it past the minimum focus distance into the "macro" range indicated by a red line on the distance scale. After that, you focus by moving the camera back and forward. You can get to within a few centimetres of the object you are shooting. It's the same method as used on the 35-135, but you can get much closer to the subject with the 35-70. The image quality is superb, with no noticable distortion. It's a very useful macro function.

Craig

Perhaps I should add here, that the "macro mode" is more than just one position where you have to move the camera in and out. Of course, this is the way to focus precisely when you are so close to an object. But when you get into the macro range of the lens, you can still rotate the barrel to get more or less close, and the closer you get, the lens will zoom in a little. In the end position you get a magnification like I've never seen with a zoom lens and rarely with non-macro fixed focals (Zeiss says 1:2,5!). Believe it or not, I use it quite often for repro work because of its flexibility resulting from the described combination of focussing and zooming in the macro range!
Apart from that, it is a wonderful lens for general use. It is perhaps not quite as sharp as the 28-85, but still sharper as the 28-70 and on a par with many of the older fixed-focals, and much lighter and more compact compared to the 28-85. It is also a little bit faster than the other zooms and has very little distortion (Zeiss says -2,5% at 35mm compared to -2% with the two 35mm fixed focals, which is very good for a zoom).
Personally, I would rather take this one along with a 21 or 25mm than the 28-85 zoom. In my opinion, the 35-70 is an excellent and very versatile lens which sometimes seems a little underrated. I can only recommend it.
Marc

Many thanks for the replies. I have a very good idea of how the macro mode of the 35-70 works now.

But when compared against the 28-70, is the 35-70 significantly better or just slightly better. I know what the MTF charts suggest, and the differences between the two lenses are obvious, but I thought that it will be interesting to hear from those who have tried both lenses.

Hello,
reading your comments to zoom Zeiss lenses, I can find enough about 28-85, 35-70 or 35-135. I am interested about 28-70. (lighter than 28-85, wider than 35-70, really think 28 is usefull). There are not much about the lens and if any, then: *...not worth of Contax name...* It is hardly to believe this...(FM in D value this lens very high, so they are mistaken..)
I also heard about distortion of the lens. Can anyone add his experiences with it (or compare image quality 28 (of 28-70) with d28/2.8- for instance? i would like to produce enlargements (30*45,45*60cm etc) but the lens have to be *solid, reliable ground* for my work. (Then I remove all lenses in this range (exc.50/1.4
happy.gif
) Can 28-70 offer this?
Thanks, Pavel

Hello Pavel, I purchased the 28-70 cz zoom mainly for it's size and weight. I also own the 35-135 vscz zoom which is a far superior lens but huge. I like the wider field of view that the 28-70 affords especially in crowd scenes. Now this lens is great for travel (so I am told since I am not a traveler) and it is great for roaming around the city. While it does not have the greatness of the above mentioned 35-135, or my prime zeiss lenses, still I feel it has the Zeiss quality and I have been rather pleased with the results I have gotten with this lens. I would not hesitate to buy one again if I had to. Be advised, I am not a scientist, I do not use a loupe to view my photographs (or any one else's) I am a street photographer that loves being in the streets of NYC looking and photographing. To that end the 28-70 suites me just fine as do my other CZ lenses.

Back