DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Review Contax T3

Peter,

I think it is clear at this time that you are not a lover of the T3 and that is fine..many really like this camera, as I do. I don't mind the sizer or shape, do not think it feels like a brick. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I guess I am just surprised that you seem to be trying to convince others that this camera is not wonderful, and wonderful is a subjective experience...I hope you find what you are looking for, or continue to use what works for you..for me the T3 is just that, a wonderful camera that does so much more than it's small size would ever make one think it is capable of.

Good luck in your search.

Joel Stern

Ergonomics on the T3 flop??? Nah!!!

That most "honorable" title will NEVER be taken from the "brick-like" Rollei 35 - the original compact - with a left-hand film crank, light meter on top, aperture & shutter dials on the front, guesstimate focus, and hot-shoe and film counter at the bottom. But with all its quirks, people love 'em just as I love mine. Quirks sometime define character.

In comparison, the T3 is a "splendid" ergonomical disaster! [sarcasm]

I have been using the G2 almost exclusively for the last three years and am considering the T3- I desperately want portability- but am still a little concerned about the focusing system.

I just wanted to ask whether there is anybody who understands how this T3 system works, has employed the suggested tricks like using the spot focus in certain situations and compensating for the apparent pull towards the right side, and has still had major focusing problems....?

Jamey, I bought a T3 about two months ago. I haven't had any trouble focusing nor have I had a need to use any tricks. The camera has focused where I thought it would and the exposures and image quality are excellent. I have had a couple of out of focus images (out of about 6 rolls in two months) but in those instances I wasn't paying close attention to the focusing area. I cannot praise this little camera enough. It is a lot of fun and the results compare favorably with my Leica and Nikon equipment. You do give up some control but you get a tiny camera with a superb lens. It is a camera you can take with you wherever you go. I encourage you to try it and see for yourself.

David

Jamey stay with your G2 it is the best 'point and shoot' Contax makes with interchangable lenses to boot.

Before posh PSs there where Leica Ms and they are pretty darn portable. Everything is relative. You gain portabability. And sacrifice ALOT of features and the overlooked, as I point out above, the stability of the g-2 or any other camera's better design/heft is much more valuable than the portability the t-3 affords. My opinion of course.

Focus seems fairly equivalent but easier to see/'feel' with the G-2 finder. The g-2 seems fasters in my experience.

Neither camera offers any REAL (I mean visual not a little viewfinder light) way of confirming manual focus.

I except this oversight in the t-3 but the g2 is another matter. I think their lenses are great. it is a mistake to not have a way of being able to focus the lenses (not via a dial) and confirm focus.

In my minority opinion use your g-2. Get a nifty Fogg bag to always have it on you. They are very comfortable and in my scale of this world small/portable. Not as sexy or light. Fogg bags are expensive but worth it once you leave the store and use it for awhile. A Xylophone or Lyre are great models to review. I believe this is best approach. So you have the best point and shoot already with manual exposure control unlike the t-3 quess what the meter is doing and exp. com. and pray. And a faster shutter release.

BTW Peter, did I say that you said anything bad about the lens? I was expressing my opinion about it, not responding to a comment you made.

I can't agree with you when you say "justification effect". I use cameras that fulfill my needs. The contax T3 fulfills a need very well, as does the G2 as does a Hasselblad and so on. The Contax T3 performs outstandingly for me in certain situations. It would be hopeless, for exapmple, in the studio for tabletop stuff. However, it's nondescript and "cheap" appearance in the black case, make it an invaluable tool for completely candid street photography. To conclude, it's horses for courses, and on this course, this horse continues to win.

Greg Clements

Jamey,

The T3, unlike the G2 or T2, uses a passive AF system as the G1. In low light it projects a infrared beam bar-code so that the AF sensors can pick up some contrast to focus. I would not recommend the T3 for candid people shots in LOW LIGHT as it can disturbs the subject. Your G2 is much better for this purpose with its Active AF. For outdoors, unless your shooting at far distant tiny subjects the T3 performs quite well. For landscape shots, I always switch to manual focus and set for Infinity.

My experience with the AF complaints that some users have had has to do with low contrast subjects or surfaces containing only "horizontal lines". Simply point the T3 to something with more contrast (on the same plane) and press AF-Lock, recompse and shoot. As for horizontal lines, just rotate the camera 90* and again press AF-Lock, recompose and shoot away.

Spot Focus: AF-Lock button will spot focus only on the area WITHIN the focus brackets. Otherwise, the focus area is actually wider than the brackets(about 3x). I hardly use it because the normal function has worked well for me.

BTW, the User Manual does run through all the points above as well as Dirk's detail review of the T3 at the top of this thread. Those who complained may have skipped the Manual or missed the section. Oh well, who would have thought a P&S camera is so capable. :)

Fine s&les of the T3's Sonnar: http://myalbum.ne.jp/cgi-bin/a_menu?id=ac473797

Click on 'Cancel' when prompted to Download.

Niki

Unless the horse can't run straight and stumbles out of the gate. Shakey not steady. Finicky not firm. Good to see we have poets. Enough dissent from me about this camera. I sincerely hope you all enjoy your t-3s. They are great for those who find the body agreeable in their hands.

I won't post on this camera again. Unless I find a solution to MY GRIPES. And become a convert.

Peter,
I wouldn't call my post poetry, only trite common gardener metaphor. Perhaps you should buy a 5X4, stick it on a tripod and use a cable release. If you are interested I have one for sale.

Greg

No thanks, Greg. I have the cameras that I enjoy working with already. Two well worn M-6s.

And I can actually hand hold them comfortably, too. I hope your T-3 is as comfortable for you.

After all rating handling is purely individual/ subjective.

That is unless you are heavily influenced by the opinions of others.

Not gonna convert me to this camera.

Try E-bay or the 'race track' for unloading your 4X5.

***Otherwise forget about my opinion: it does not matter/count if you enjoy your T-3.******

Back