DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

CONTAX CY lenses on Canon EOS Bodies

No, there aren't any adapters to use N lenses on a Canon EOS camera. The N mount is almost as large as the EOS mount making an adapter all but impossible and retain infinity focus. In addition, the N aperture controls are electronic even though you use a aperture ring to set them. So, you cannot stop down the lens and would have to use it wide open at all times.

IMO, don't waste your time or money on adapting C/Y manual lenses to a 20D. The focusing is close to impossible with the focussing screen of the 20D. Plus, the screen in the 20D is not interchangeable like it is on the 1D series digital cameras. I have a 20D and tried some C/Y glass on it ... so take my word for it.

I use a Canon split screen on the EOS 1D series cameras and it works fine.

The 20D does have a dark viewfinder and is very difficult to focus any lens with a smaller aperture than f2.8, even then you need good light.

However, you may be interested to know that there is now a replacement focussing screen available for the 20D.
It has a split prism and microprism collar, and can be enhanced to provide a brighter image.

I've ordered one and have been told it will be about 2 weeks for it to arrive in the UK. I'll post my findings when I've tried it.

Details can be found here: http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

Thats very useful info on the 20D marc... luckily i have just been out-bid on one in eBay! You have solved a dilema i have been having about whether to buy one or not! Thanks.

Well, the replacement focusing screen for 20D is GREAT news !!

Thanks Matt ; -)

Heck, if that works and focuses correctly, I'm going to keep my 20D now. It'd be nice to have a smaller digital for the C/Y lenses. I'm ordering one of those 20D screens right now.

Hey DJ, I won the 35-135/3.3-4 on ebay for $950. !!!!!!

Sprung in at the last second like Dirk told me to do and snatched it away from the high bidder.

They're selling for $1,500. at B&H not in as good condition and without the hood.

Marc,

Come to think of it, it was the Leica 35-70 f/2.8 mentioned in FM forum not compatible with the EOS dSLR body, not the 28-90.

Sorry for the confusion.

> Thanks, Marc an Matt for the info. I'm using the 20d now most of the > time, but, don't want to part with the CZ glass. The c645 with the 120m > lens on it can give me goosebumps when I get the film developed and see

ahh darn it... and so i must continue deliberating, just when i thought i had made up my mind!  oh well, hopefully the new focusing screen will be great...

Marc, congrats on your new baby! I just got the tracking number for the CZ 18 from Bella Italia, and I unexpectedly
uhoh.gif
ended up picking up a CZ 50/1.7 over at FM. I'm going to take a breather for now, although I'm eyeing some Leica glass just in case ...

I received the Katz eye replacement focussing screen for my 20D today (and my Zeiss 70-210mm f3.5 arrived as well - it's like Christmas here today!).

First impressions: It's relatively easy to fit, takes a little bit of jiggling to get the screen exactly centred, but after a few attepmts it all lined up ok (gentle tapping on the side of the camera before re-securing seemed to work) .

It is quite a bit brighter than the standard screen (I stumped up the extra $50 for the Hi-Lux version and it was worth it). Focussing just using the matte surround alone is easier. Now the viewfinder is just small, as opposed to small and dim!

But the real bonus is the microprism collar and split image centre. The difference is quite dramatic, particularly with smaller maximum aperture lenses.

At last I can use my full range of c/y lenses on the 20D with the focussing ease it should have. Focussing is accurate and precise.

Of course the split prism and collar start to black out at around 5.6 and smaller (as with all screens), but the matte section is so much brighter you can use that instead.

I can certainly recommend the screen to those contemplating it. It is a major improvement, and I think if I'd had this screen when I bought my 20D, I wouldn't have bothered with the Canon 17-40 and 70-200. Still I suppose the autofocus is useful for some situations...

Back