DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

When do we think webll have the 500mm VR

juninho35

Well, we got a new AF-S 200mm VR this year and then they upgraded the AF-S 300mm to VR with the new meniscus elements..

So does anybody have any info on when we might get an upgrade to the pesent 500mm AF-S from Nikon?

It cannot come too soon for me as I'm having real problems using the present AF-S 500 on digital SLRs.. I shoot motorsports and head on shots with headlights gives terrible ghosting that is cuased by light bouncing back off the CCD and then back onto the CDD as it reflects from the flat glss protective elements..

Regards

Juninho Junior wrote: It cannot come too soon for me as I'm having real problems using the present AF-S 500 on digital SLRs.. I shoot motorsports and head on shots with headlights gives terrible ghosting that is cuased by light bouncing back off the CCD and then back onto the CDD as it reflects from the flat glss protective elements..

Junior, I guess I'm a little befuddled - what do you imagine VR will do to assuage the problem you desribe? All VR (or Canon's IS) does is vibrate some internal lens elements to counter the wobbling of the camera body/photographer and thus reduce motion blur. Not that this is a minor thing; it's really pretty neat.

But, how will that prevent the ghosting you describe - assuming that you will still be shooting head on into headlights and still using a CCD camera? The VR won't eliminate internal reflections (in fact, it might make them a bit more interesting, but that probably depends on what shutter speed you end up using). BobF

Ah.. Perhaps I didn't explain.. I guess you need to understand that the new versions of the big lenses have meniscus elements built into the construction that's supposed to stop the effects I mention..

I think that the mechanics of these types of lens mean that they will always be MF.. Besides, they are not up to much quality wise..

Posted by Juninho Junior (Juninho35) on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 5:45 pm: > > I think that the mechanics of these types of lens mean that they will > always be MF.. Besides, they are not up to much quality wise..

Some are quite high quality and the optical design lends it's self to internal focus as well or better than conventional lenses. BTW, Pentax makes a Mirror AF lens.

Ron

Minolta do have AF Mirror lens too. The image quality is good if not v.good or excellent. So AF should not be a technical problem for Nikon, it's only the market concerns.

People love the doughnut shape out-of-focus hightlights that they want to buy the mirror lens, not always because of its size.

BTW, using 500mm with VR is moot. Almost all people who use 500mm will use tripod(s). To remember turning off the VR everytime is only giving you more trouble.

Back