DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

looking for a yashica ml 21mm

gillou

hi,
i am looking for a wide angle form my contax gear. a yashica ml mm would be great, the zeiss one is a bit expensive ...
if anyone have an idea .... thanks

Hi gillou,

do you want to use it on a Contax camera or your Olympus digital camera? If you use it on a digital body, I am afraid you will not be happy woth a yashica version for the IQ...

Best wishes

hi dirk, i want to use it on contax analog bodies. why the yashica lens won't be good on olympus M4/3 digital bodies ?
regards

Hi gillou,

I never tried the Yashica lens, but my experience with older lens designs outside of Contax/Zeiss and Leica is, that because of the requirements of sensors, the "cheaper" WA are not dsigned for these requirements. For telezooms and normal FFL this is not that big issue. But the wider it gets, the more difficult it is. Googel for all the complaints of Sony Nex7 users, which treid their exoensive Leica and Contax WA lenses on it....

Olympus published years ago a long artile about this telecentric design requirement. Although they exaggerated a little bit to push their own new FT system, it still holds true. This is why all manufacturers sooner or later brought newly designed lenses on the maket. The more demanding a sensor is (in MP), the more problems will come with old lenses.

The Contax lenses, especially the 21mm, is famous for its design compatibility with modern sensors (below 24MP). But the Zeiss 21mm is so expensive, that it is easier/sheaper to buy a new design from another manufacturer and buy & use it on another DSLR. This will be still less expensive :)

Best wishes

maybe it would be easier to find a zeiss 18mm. distorsion is not a problem, well corrected.

Back